My great, great, great grandad :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Right a bit of scandal.My dad told me his dad was the result of a visit of some soldiers to a little town,where a bit of a fumble and nine months later out popped grandad.Well that was not true.Mrs P has looked in to the family and grandad was actually the result of a brother and sister having a bit with each other,they were not satisfied with just one so they had a second go.

I was hearing banjo's by the end of the post

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone else unearthed interesting family history ??
I discovered a couple of years ago that my Grandad was interviewed by the police over the disappearance of Lord Lucan.

My Dad remains tight lipped about it (the Masonic code of omerta, no doubt) but my Sister reckons that when she was little she overheard my Grandad and Dad talking about it, and she reckons that the way they were talking confirms that Gramps was involved.

Sadly, the old feller passed away 40 years ago so I can't ask him. I don't get on with my Sister and wouldn't ordinarily trust her as far as I could spit her, so Im not taking her word as gospel. Dad won't talk, and is under no legal compunction to tell the authorities what he may know (if indeed he really knows anything), so it looks like the story passed away with my Grandad.

So, I know that the Bow Street Runners did interview Gramps over the matter, but nothing else for sure. If Lord Lucan would like to PM me and fill me in I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
Right a bit of scandal.My dad told me his dad was the result of a visit of some soldiers to a little town,where a bit of a fumble and nine months later out popped grandad.Well that was not true.Mrs P has looked in to the family and grandad was actually the result of a brother and sister having a bit with each other,they were not satisfied with just one so they had a second go.
So it's not just the postman who always rings twice.

My Aunt always told me the story of how my GGGrandfather was the illegitimate son of the Earl of Dudley, and when I did the research I found out about the brothel etc. She is very religious and has not forgiven me for unearthing that lot.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My maternal family moved from Austria to the UK in the late 1800's. In fact, there is still a Grandmother clock in the family from a wedding gift sent over from the time. Aside from that i know pretty much all the history from then onward, but beyond Victorian i need to do more research...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No i haven't. I'm too tight to pay for such stuff and at the end of the day they're long gone,i didn't know them so what's the point. Maybe i'd like to know about my great grandparents and i did find out bits about them from my mum's cousin who had a vast knowledge of such things,but sadly when he died that knowledge died with him.
I can't understand when they have these tv programs where usually a 'celebrity's 'roots' are talked about,then the 'celeb' starts getting all upset and stuff. If someone told me that my great, great,great grandad had died in the battle of Waterloo i'd think "So fecking what". I wouldn't start wailing on tv about it! 🧐

No i haven't. I'm too tight to pay for such stuff and at the end of the day they're long gone,i didn't know them so what's the point. Maybe i'd like to know about my great grandparents and i did find out bits about them from my mum's cousin who had a vast knowledge of such things,but sadly when he died that knowledge died with him.
I can't understand when they have these tv programs where usually a 'celebrity's 'roots' are talked about,then the 'celeb' starts getting all upset and stuff. If someone told me that my great, great,great grandad had died in the battle of Waterloo i'd think "So fecking what". I wouldn't start wailing on tv about it! 🧐
Feck you are a miserable sod

Reactions: gbb

DRM

Guru
It’s surprising how these things catch you out, I found a Great uncle who was killed in WW1 near Arras, fighting with the Royal Naval Division, he is mentioned on the memorial in Vis en Artois, seeing the name of an ancestor on there really brings it home, I found another one on the memorial to the Imperial Camel Corps, in London, he died at the battle of Mussalahbeh, was in the Australian forces having had to defend the hill they were on by dropping rocks on the advancing Turks, having run out of ammo, he had volunteered with a cousin in NSW having emigrated there with their families , they both wound up in Gallipoli initially, then split up when one volunteered for the Camel Corps fighting their way from Egypt to Palestine, the other wound up in the trenches of France and Belgium, he survived and joined up again in WW2 with the Australian home defence force and was present at the Cowra POW Breakout, there was another cousin who was killed age 18 on the first day of the Somme offensive , then in WW2 there was my Grandads cousin whose submarine was sunk off North Africa, it’s the backstory that’s really fascinating, it gives us a glimpse into the past, it makes all those names real.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes but you are not doing a performance for TV. Got to make a good show and it is nothing without tears.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It’s surprising how these things catch you out, I found a Great uncle who was killed in WW1 near Arras, fighting with the Royal Naval Division, he is mentioned on the memorial in Vis en Artois, seeing the name of an ancestor on there really brings it home, I found another one on the memorial to the Imperial Camel Corps, in London, he died at the battle of Mussalahbeh, was in the Australian forces having had to defend the hill they were on by dropping rocks on the advancing Turks, having run out of ammo, he had volunteered with a cousin in NSW having emigrated there with their families , they both wound up in Gallipoli initially, then split up when one volunteered for the Camel Corps fighting their way from Egypt to Palestine, the other wound up in the trenches of France and Belgium, he survived and joined up again in WW2 with the Australian home defence force and was present at the Cowra POW Breakout, there was another cousin who was killed age 18 on the first day of the Somme offensive , then in WW2 there was my Grandads cousin whose submarine was sunk off North Africa, it’s the backstory that’s really fascinating, it gives us a glimpse into the past, it makes all those names real.
My grandad (my dad's dad) was gassed during WW1(as many others were). I've never seen a photo of him and never saw him in the flesh as he died 2 years before i was born. According to my dad he suffered badly in later life,mainly due to the mustard gas he inhaled. Yes,i'd love to see a photo of him,but there isn't one as my dad said he didn't like being photographed. I'd like to read up about him,but his dad,with all due respect i'm not interested in stuff about him.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Does delving into long dead peoples lives have to be about relatives? There are many WW1 graves in the local cemetery. I saw one the other day,which i haven't noticed before. It's the grave of a 20 year old,killed at Ypres in 1915. Then there's this one. Sorry,it's a bit difficult to make out the inscription,but he was killed during WW1 and it seems was an Accrington factory owner before the war. Yes,i'd like to read up about him,but would i pay around £50 to do so? Most likely not.
1613332003244.png

Nothing like those personal stories to bring military history (and history in general) to life. :okay:

Otherwise it tends to be fairly dry stuff...

DRM

Guru
Does delving into long dead peoples lives have to be about relatives? There are many WW1 graves in the local cemetery. I saw one the other day,which i haven't noticed before. It's the grave of a 20 year old,killed at Ypres in 1915. Then there's this one. Sorry,it's a bit difficult to make out the inscription,but he was killed during WW1 and it seems was an Accrington factory owner before the war. Yes,i'd like to read up about him,but would i pay around £50 to do so? Most likely not.
View attachment 573995
Top tip, it’s free with a library membership

Top Bottom