My Hands Hurt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woody0301

Regular
I have a Trek 7.5FX. I ride 20 to 30 miles at the time but through the ride my hands and fingers will start getting numb. I move them around but it just comes back. Any suggestions?

Cyclist33

1. Is your saddle tilted forwards? That would put extra pressure on your hands as they have to support more force from your body. Also the height of your saddle and how far along its rail it is, will affect how much lean you have on your handlebar.
2. Can the handlebars, by lowering or raising or flipping over their stem, be moved so as to reduce the pressure on your pinkies?
3. Are the handlebars riser type, and if so, can you play with the angle of the riser till you find some setup that works for you? We're all different anatomically. I obsessively have my handlebar flat (parallel to the ground) but I've seen some people angle them up or down.

Just a few thoughts really.

You could try some ergonomic grips that spread the pressure across the hand, or some bar-ends that will enable you to move to different positions. A pair of gloves, or mittens, with gel inserts or padded areas might help. Raising handlebars reduces weight carried on the hands, so that might assist too.

Berties

Fast and careful!
its your ulnar nerve in your hand,goggle it and you will see its position in your hand,and the fact it comes under pressure when you grip your bars,
i get it from time to time and it comes on faster on rough rides
what can you do?
change your grip from time to time on a ride,don't grip to hard
wear a pair of good padded cycling mitts,
another tip i have been given by a physio i ride with,is when you can tuck your chin into your chest,it releases the pressure feels a bit unnatural but works!
when you feel the hand numbing,one at a time hand off the bar place behind back open and close hand,should be job done
it does get better and may even go away for good
good luck and happy riding:bicycle:

defy-one

wear a pair of good padded cycling mitts,another tip i have been given by a physio i ride with,is when you can tuck your chin into your chest,it releases the pressure feels a bit unnatural but works!
when you feel the hand numbing,one at a time hand off the bar place behind back open and close hand,should be job done:

Couldn't agree more. Especially the moving hand behind you. It does get better
Keep moving hands around

STEPHAN DAVIS

I'm going through exactly the same thing at the moment. Seems to be worse in my little fingers. Will certainly be trying the hand behind my back trick tomorrow!

Top Bottom