My Harry Quinn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very nice;deserves some nicer tyres than Marathons though,you want some nice tanwall Veloflexes:tongue:(other tyres are available:rolleyes:).

U

User32269

I've got a "Quinn's Lightweight" Reynolds 631, not a Q number unfortunately, but I love it. Just broke the left brifter and I'm now putting down tube shifters on and old set of Weinmann levers with white hoods on, much prefer "original" look.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
I've got a "Quinn's Lightweight" Reynolds 631, not a Q number unfortunately, but I love it. Just broke the left brifter and I'm now putting down tube shifters on and old set of Weinmann levers with white hoods on, much prefer "original" look.
would like to see some pics of that and how you get on going back to downtube shifting.

Last edited:
U

User32269

IMG_20160523_132817.jpg

That's with brifters on, haven't got round to sorting it out yet. Rides lovely but it's not a classic Harry!
Excuse bizarre photo frame thing, clicked wrong photo!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
would like to see some pics of that and how you get on going back to downtube shifting.
I recentlyish got a vintage steel steed with downtubes. It takes a little bit if getting re used to them, but not too bad. Front D trimming is easier with friction shifting. I some time accidently double change on the which is a fair jump on a 5 spd block, but generally its fine. It also looks much cleaner.

U

User32269

I prefer the look of original down tubes and like the fact you can trim if shift isn't perfect. I'm on the lookout for a nice set because I've got none left despite having shed full of bike stuff!
I'm going to complete the look with classic brown leather bar tape and saddle.

oldroadman

Veteran
That's a nicely updated Harry Quinn.

Harry Quinn has a great cycling history around here in the North West..........

I had a very good Ron Spencer road bike in the early 1980's, the frame was built by Harry Quinn's or when it was owned by Frank Clement (later Orbit Cycles in Dudley).....

Edit: my Ron Spencer frame was probably built by Bill Whitcomb, Harry Quinn's old apprentice.

Here's a pic of a Harry Quinn in the Milk Race 1965.

5498902643_7139582d0f_b.jpg
Note the taped over branding on the shorts and nice saggy front pocket parachutes! Beautiful Campag large flange hubs, "butchered" B17 saddle. A pump and spare tub had to be carried. Officials back then were mad and would penalise or even disqualify people for what they decided was illegal advertising. They loved their rules, the more arcane and daft the better.
Tapes over shoe names was not unusual, even the old three stripe logo had to be blacked out with shoe polish, honestly.
Older members of the first club I joined told me all this, as a youngster it seemed that some officials then did everything to make life difficult for riders and revelled in exercising "power" over people. Echoes of the old NCU lot from the 50's I suppose.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Note the taped over branding on the shorts and nice saggy front pocket parachutes! Beautiful Campag large flange hubs, "butchered" B17 saddle. A pump and spare tub had to be carried. Officials back then were mad and would penalise or even disqualify people for what they decided was illegal advertising. They loved their rules, the more arcane and daft the better.
Tapes over shoe names was not unusual, even the old three stripe logo had to be blacked out with shoe polish, honestly.
Older members of the first club I joined told me all this, as a youngster it seemed that some officials then did everything to make life difficult for riders and revelled in exercising "power" over people. Echoes of the old NCU lot from the 50's I suppose.

quite the change from the amount of sponsorship in todays cycling and all sports in general.
As for "Officials" using / absuing their power that's a given from beginning of time....shame to say.

Top Bottom