My homebrew lights .. finally ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

Uncle Phil said:
I'd like to be able to switch the light to low power - a full power setting for out in the sticks, and a battery-saving option for use in town where you don't need so much light. I'm sure there'll be a constant-current gadget that can do this, but I lack the knowledge to find it or to be sure of getting the right one.

Any electronics gurus have any advice?
Not quite a guru but I've been doing some reading into this. The supply you have seems to suggest that it can be dimmed using PWM, although this isn't quite clear. Using PWM is going to complicate matters quite a bit as you need something to generate the PWM signal.
I've been looking at other circuits that are probably less efficient, but allow the output to be controlled via resistors and switches.
The other alternative is to get a dimmable 'buck puck', but these cost around £20 each.

I've orderd some LEDs and some boards, so I'll play with them and then let you know what I find.

cheers

OP
OP
F

fisha

Guru
Hello folks. Really sorry for not being around. My time had to be given over to a new job for the last while, so time on here has been considerably limited now that i dont sit in front of a PC all day. I'll look back through the thread and see if there any answers I can provide, but its good to see that some have made similar lights.

Mine are still going strong. Certainly live up to purpose and run for at least 2 hours which is the main issue for me. I may look at different ones further down the line in terms of brighter LED's but at the moment, i dont feel I need brighter.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Welcome back fisha!

Your light design is excellent! If you haven't read the whole thread, I've built four or five which Mrs Uncle Phil and I use on various bikes, and they're excellent. Brilliant in every sense - thanks for posting your design.

We run ours on packs of six 2400mAh NiMH batteries, and they'll run for five hours plus (we've never actually run one flat).

ACW

Seriously good lights. make my homemade led light look crap, i have a 1.2w led and a 10w halogen mr16 lamps mounted in a b&q matchpot. works ok but not bright enough.

off to maplin tomorow.

Bike

OP
OP
F

fisha

Guru
Thanks Phil for the compliments. I have to admit I spent a lot of time finding the right bits and bobs so that assembly was relatively easy, but there is little i would change thinking back about it.

Tharg, yeah, i spotted an unread message and wondered about it and followed it back here.

Tharg2007

Veteran
fisha, I want to build a set of these, what is the red connector you are using? also what switche do you use at the back. Also what is the little grommet you are using underneath to secure the power cable?

Thanks!!

Coco

Ok, I'm almost finished with my build of the FishaLight.

Changed a couple of things. I've used this LED driver. Really tiny and allows for the output to be adjusted, either via a pot or switched resistor. There is also a version with screw terminals if you don't want to solder.
I've also used a longer case from Maplin (same width & height) which has allowed me to sneak in a LiPo battery that I had. Still to wire in the battery charging socket and add the QR bracket. I'll post more details when I've done that.

Tharg2007

Veteran
YIKES!!! I've ordered my bits
Here is the list so far:
4 x cree xp-G R4s
1 x PowerLine SLIM Constant Current
1 x PowerLine Constant Current Power Supply
4 x Various carclo optics
heat cunductive pads
wires
2 x cases from maplins
2 x switches with waterproof covers.
connectors etc

Next need a couple of power packs and charger. Anyone got any sources for getting good ones cheap. Not sure weather to get the 8.4v or 7.2v RC ones, suggestions?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tharg2007 said:
YIKES!!! I've ordered my bits
Here is the list so far:
4 x cree xp-G R4s
1 x PowerLine SLIM Constant Current
1 x PowerLine Constant Current Power Supply
4 x Various carclo optics
heat cunductive pads
wires
2 x cases from maplins
2 x switches with waterproof covers.
connectors etc

Next need a couple of power packs and charger. Anyone got any sources for getting good ones cheap. Not sure weather to get the 8.4v or 7.2v RC ones, suggestions?
So do I just need to ride in front of you to keep warm and dry (i.e lightly toasted) in future, then? ;):biggrin:

Top Bottom