my internet at home isn't working...any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Just realised that you are running from modem straight into the PC. My money is on Zone alarm !

Arch

Married to Night Train
*computer idiot suggestion*

Hae you tried switching the internet off and back on again?:smile:

biking_fox

Guru
Talk to the ISP is the most likely, particularly if your Modem lights are green. I've had heavy rain take my broadband down for a fortnight - mostly due to BT and ISP not talking to each other! grr.

domtyler

Über Member
biking_fox said:
Talk to the ISP is the most likely, particularly if your Modem lights are green. I've had heavy rain take my broadband down for a fortnight - mostly due to BT and ISP not talking to each other! grr.

Ha ha, that's actually more of a problem than you might realise, moisture greatly increases the attenuation on copper wires running DSL services.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Arch said:

hehe...tried that. Also took the pc out of the room and back in again but all to no avail.

maybe theres an elephant with his foot on the cable somewhere...all the binary 1s and 0s are bulging up on one side, Tom n Jerry style.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Charlotte_C+ :-) said:
It also might be worth checking to see if there are any yellow error signs in the device manager list. by going to Control panel, System, then clicking on the device manager button.:smile:

Also Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Make sure you are enabled. If I turn my wireless TalkTalk connection off by(and only by this) using an icon in the taskbar it "disables" the computer connection to do it.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Maz said:
Are the family in the North-West, like you are?...i tried phoning TalkTalk last night about my internet problem and there was a recorded message saying there are currently 'issues' [hate that word!] being experienced for our customers in the north-west...we are currently dealing with it bla bla bla..."
They also "currently had issues" over here in the North East last night, came back on about 9.30pm.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
maybe theres an elephant with his foot on the cable somewhere...all the binary 1s and 0s are bulging up on one side, Tom n Jerry style.

That'll be it. You need to follow the wires, but take a bag of buns with you. When you find the elephant, tempt it forward off the wire with the buns.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
That'll be it. You need to follow the wires, but take a bag of buns with you. When you find the elephant, tempt it forward off the wire with the buns.

A twelve bore might be quicker and more effective. :smile:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
i think it's what the IT bods refer to as 'trunking issues'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Arch said:

I read the Google story a while back and was pretty amazed to learn how Google works. They built a super-computer out of thousands of PC motherboards and harddrives and effectively downloaded the Internet :biggrin:! The reason that it can take Google a while to spot new stuff is that is has to keep updating its copy and that takes time.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
A twelve bore might be quicker and more effective. :smile:

Not entirely sure about that. Think you might end up with one very cross elephant, instead. There's a reason they invented the elephant gun...

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
wahay! back in business!

ISP was at fault...reckon one of the IT bods mustve disconnected the server so he could put the kettle on for his pot noodles.

Top Bottom