My knackered old knees! Wrong foot position on pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good evening all

Lately my knees are giving me a fair bit of gip! I have only been cycling for a couple of years now - strictly commuting only & around 15 miles per day at the most. I am not too overweight...well about 10/12 pounds perhaps & 51 years old. Not old but not exactly young either. I have always used flat pedals on a single speed. I think how I place my feet and push down could be part of the problem. I seem to use the "middle" of my foot if that makes sense. Should I be using the ball of my foot? Would different pedals using cleats educate my pedaling and take the stress off my knees maybe?

I would appreciate any advice.

Peace all!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wouldn't have thought your foot position on the pedal would be the reason why you are getting sore knees as you are not attached to the pedals you foot will find a natural pedaling position.
However it may be that your saddle is too low, have you checked that your saddle is at the correct hight

buddha

Veteran
Could be the cold/wind? I commute on a single speed with flatties too, and have had a bit of knee 'pain' this past week. So I've taken the first couple of miles a little easier than usual to warm up first.

One problem I have with my flat pedals is that the teeth/pins in the pedal can force your foot into an uncomfortable position. Especially if your shoes are new and have an MTB style tread. Though as ianrauk says, make sure your seat post hasn't slipped down - even a few mm can make a difference.

Top Bottom