My last commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I doubt I've had three incidents worth typing about in total whilst commuting over the past 3 months, so to get three on one ride was unusual. And, happily, two of the three were good things anyway.

1. Cycling through Bray, past the Heston Bloomingidiots "Dat *uck" restaurant, there's a 20 limit and two separate long pinch points, each one is probably about 30m long. Before going through I see a Transit behind me but he's happy to follow me the whole way and, when he does overtake, he's completely across the centre line. I was impressed enough that I did everything to catch him at some lights and say thanks. Not sure what he thought I was going to do when I asked him to lower his window but he was shocked when I said thanks and explained how grateful I was for his considerate driving.

2. About 6 miles further up the road, near Bourne End, there's a long stretch of 30 limit wiggling through a couple of villages and it's almost impossible for cars to get past. So, when I see a lorry behind me who is holding right back, again giving me plenty of space, I happily pull over to let him through. Friendly wave and a toot from him too, so I'm feeling pretty good about the commute when...

3. ...about 300 yards after I set off again, I get hassled by an artic. He sat right on my tail which had the effect of moving me further over to the right, to control my space in case he tried something. Which he inevitably did, pulling out and overtaking despite the car coming the other way. I followed something which Crankster suggested in another thread today, easing off the pedals with a view to grabbing a tow but he started to pull back in again before the rear tyres have come into sight. Braking and using the space I'd created to my left kept me out of trouble but, when I passed him as he turned right further up the road, I suggested to his wingman that he should tell the driver that his trailer is bigger than he thinks, unlike his dick.

Sadly, as I leave this job next Tuesday, this may be my last commute. I think 9 or 10 miles is about the right distance, giving me a good work out each way but not leaving me too knackered if I do 5 cycle-commutes in a week.

potsy

Rambler
Well they say 2 out of 3 ain't bad norm,have you got anything lines up?
I do an almost 20 mile daily commute and I think it's a perfect distance.
Had a cop car left hook me today,so it shows bad driving can come from anywhere.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

So, when I see a lorry behind me who is holding right back, again giving me plenty of space, I happily pull over to let him through. Friendly wave and a toot from him too.

When someone is following me considerately and patiently, I am nearly always inclined to slow, and/or pull over to make things easier. It's hard to hold up someone who is being nice!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
[/size][/font][/color]

When someone is following me considerately and patiently, I am nearly always inclined to slow, and/or pull over to make things easier. It's hard to hold up someone who is being nice!

LOL, yeah, either that or go a lot faster to reduce their waiting time. I love how drivers often become very grateful when they see you making an effort on their behalf, it's the stuff that makes my commute.

OP
OP
N

Norm

Beware - semi-zombie thread. :becool:

I did the first cycle-commute to the current contract today. I've been here about 6 weeks but, because I work near to the kids' school, I can't commute on the bike as I run Normie Taxis in the morning.

The new commute is a few miles further than the last ride but it's mostly on 60-limit country roads rather than dragging through Maidenhead and Bourne End. Because of the state of the roads, I used my old clunker MTB with 26x1.5 City Jets, which handled the surfaces pretty darned well. I did feel every ounce of the steel frame with nearly 400' of climbing and having only done a handful of rides in the past month.

Conditions were close to perfect, with very few cars about, temperatures around 5-6 degrees so I just had a t-shirt under my flouro jacket, wet roads but nothing falling from the sky so the mudguards kept me completely dry, and only a very light mist to reduce the visibility.

Overall, it was a very pleasant.

Top Bottom