My latest car insurance rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just did a comparison with LV who we are with now, came out the same as the quote. Insurance I think is based on the damage the vehicle/driver can do to others, which often works out far higher than the cost of a lot of cars. For the peace of mind I feel it is good value.

keithmac

Guru
I make a point of changing companies as well if they try it on at renewal time, everyone should do the same.

Very satisfying when they ring you back with their "best" quote and you tell them to shove it!.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Bazzer @Julia9054
Hi, trying to help my 21 year old get his first insurance - any help/experience gratefully received - TIA!

Go Compare 'Telematics policies' £750 to £1000 for Abingdon and an old Citroen C1 so far

Julia9054

Guru
@Bazzer @Julia9054
Hi, trying to help my 21 year old get his first insurance - any help/experience gratefully received - TIA!

Go Compare 'Telematics policies' £750 to £1000 for Abingdon and an old Citroen C1 so far
That sounds good. My son went with Admiral and a black box. His was nearly £1500.
Complicated by living in central Manchester, being a musician and needing business insurance.
Year 2 - Admiral still the cheapest by far - was £650.
Mitigated by a year's good driving, turning 25 and moving to rural Yorkshire.
Interestingly, the black box was supposed to send him regular updates on his driving. It never did. It's still in there - no idea if it is still monitoring .

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@Bazzer @Julia9054

Assuming he has passed his test, that sounds about right. My youngest daughter's has dropped to £500 and no black box this year, even though she is only 20 and a student, because of her driving a couple of years.
Try other comparison sites too.
If you or Hillwimp are added to the policy that can reduce the premium. Make sure the anticipated annual mileage is reasonably accurate. You don't want to be paying for mileage which isn't going to be covered. Where the vehicle is parked can also make a difference.
Look for a discount if the insurer happens to be the same as for other cars in the household. Or see if insurers for other cars in the household will give a discount if your son was to take out a policy.
My daughter had the opportunity to haggle after she passed her test because the car she passed in was hers. It reads as though you may not have that opportunity.
I don't think you get any choice about which black box is fitted, which is unfortunate. My daughter's first year's driving black box she had was excellent. It accurately recorded her driving, was easy to fit and stuck on the windscreen, was a visible reminder of being monitored for whoever was driving the car. I can't remember who those insurers were and neither she nor I are home at the moment.
The black box provided through Admiral was dreadful. Professionally fitted and powered by piggy backing on to a fuse, it was hidden behind the dashboard but it didn't record properly at all, neither did the App with it work properly. We even reached the stage of recording a journey by camera to show speed, braking etc., in comparison to what was said to have been recorded by the device, but Admiral didn't want to know.

Top Bottom