My legs are utterly ruined

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Did 50-odd miles at a middling pace on unwilling legs on Saturday, yesterday spent 3hrs working on the car which mainly involved crouching down / hanging off a breaker bar, then did a few miles on the ofo.

Woke up this morning and my legs (mostly quads) were pretty damned sore; having spent an hour earlier walking to the shop and back I think the only time they've ever been any worse was after walking up and down Snowden. FWIW I stretched a little after the ride and work on the car.. and while I can appreciate that the legs would be a bit sore I'm struggling to understand why they're so bad on this occasion - I suspect the amateur mechanics are to blame.

Would welcome any pointers as to how to alleviate these symptoms but really just needed to have a whinge as moving is current really no fun :blink:

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Recovery ride needed.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Recovery ride needed.
Thanks - the ofo was kind of supposed to be a recovery ride but I wasn't very disciplined and making it up the hill on the way home (twice) was never going to be low exertion. Maybe I'll try a quick spin on the CdF tomorrow but I think any pedalling's going to be a bit of a chore.

In other news this is the first time today I've thought about my saddle sores so at least the legs have provided a useful distraction :tongue:

Gazjacko

Theory
You built up lactate and toxins in your leg muscles on Saturday and then Sunday you got into stress positions that pushed these back into the leg muscles?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Pay a mechanic then you've got time to ride :okay:
Probably while working on the car you used muscles your not use too using in that way have a rest day
Yeah, the problematic word in that proposition unfortunately being "pay".

I think it was a mixture of muscles tbh; it's certainly the traditional cycling stalwarts that are feeling it the most!

It's an age thing :smile:.
Gah, thanks - that's reassuring!

Theory
You built up lactate and toxins in your leg muscles on Saturday and then Sunday you got into stress positions that pushed these back into the leg muscles?
Perhaps.. my knowledge of physiology doesn't stretch far enough for me to have a valid opinion. I have found that sometimes aches are worst the 2nd day after a ride and it seems that maintaining static positions under load does put a lot of stress on muscles.

vickster

Legendary Member
Long hot bath and a good stretch afterwards, and pain relief if needed. Could try deep heat too

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Age. It's the general mechanics/DIY that kills my back. I'm OK on the bike, but the back injury and age = urgh. Only 50 years young.
This is starting to sound depressing! One of my knees was giving my gyp too after crouching for a bit and getting up (that really did feel unhealthy), although I think that's something the stint on the ofo did help :smile:

Long hot bath and a good stretch afterwards, and pain relief if needed. Could try deep heat too
Ta - had a bath this morning and it helped to an extent / for a few hours perhaps. I imagine some epsom salts would have helped, as would some more committed stretching.

Will have to wait and see how cripplied I remain in the morning!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is starting to sound depressing! One of my knees was giving my gyp too after crouching for a bit and getting up (that really did feel unhealthy), although I think that's something the stint on the ofo did help :smile:

Ta - had a bath this morning and it helped to an extent / for a few hours perhaps. I imagine some epsom salts would have helped, as would some more committed stretching.

Will have to wait and see how cripplied I remain in the morning!

Don't worry about it mate.

I've said to colleagues you'll just have to tip my body parts into my coffin at this rate ! :laugh:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Make sure you feed the body post ride. You want some carbohydrates to restore the glycogen and protein after the ride. Carbs during the first 30 to 60 minutes after and then some protein love for those muscles.

Did 50-odd miles at a middling pace on unwilling legs on Saturday, yesterday spent 3hrs working on the car which mainly involved crouching down / hanging off a breaker bar, then did a few miles on the ofo.

Woke up this morning and my legs (mostly quads) were pretty damned sore; having spent an hour earlier walking to the shop and back I think the only time they've ever been any worse was after walking up and down Snowden. FWIW I stretched a little after the ride and work on the car.. and while I can appreciate that the legs would be a bit sore I'm struggling to understand why they're so bad on this occasion - I suspect the amateur mechanics are to blame.

Would welcome any pointers as to how to alleviate these symptoms but really just needed to have a whinge as moving is current really no fun :blink:
Three hours crouching - yikes - I'd be a stretcher case after that!
Muscles that aren't normally used, then put through this, only one outcome, and can catch you unawares.
Couple of years back, we were staying in Chiang Mai, and visited a temple on a mountain. After driving up and parking, there was a big queue for the cable car that takes you to the top, so clever me said no problem, we'll walk up instead. Next few days any steps up or down were agony. Can laugh at it now, lesson learned (maybe) :laugh:

Top Bottom