My LEJOG 2019 (as if there'll ever be another one..lol)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Cracking read @PeteXXX, and well done sir.
I'd be interested to know what kit you took, and what you decided was not needed at the start?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Chapeau sir, I enjoyed the write up. Reminded me of my first tour 2 years ago when I rode a similar unsupported route. About to start my next adventure in a fortnight and this has wetted my appetite even more. Just reminded me I need to pack my Avon Oh so soft for the midgies !!!
Thank you. Ahhhhh, midgies! Evil little blighters..
Enjoy your new adventure :okay:
well done. I am starting my Lejog in August 2019 this will be the second time cycling Lejog. be careful it's addictive lol.
If MrsPete was to release me again, I might try JOGLE :tongue:

I'd be interested to know what kit you took, and what you decided was not needed at the start?

Thanks! I thought it easiest to keep a diary, then post it all in one go..
I'll work on on the 'what did I take' part later, and get back to you :okay:

Ice2911

Über Member
CEB3620D-6318-407B-85DA-534199413C32.png This is my next adventure, you might be tempted :smile:

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I probably packed too much at first. I got rid of an extra T shirt, socks, pants and assorted bits that I realised I could do without, such as a couple books, and food that I could buy along the way, and a spare Gaz cylinder. On Day 2, I sent home, via Collect+, a small rucksack, containing a jacket another top, socks and pants (I kept two sets, one on me getting dirty, one washed and drying, and didn't think I'd be needing the extra jacket, which proved correct.)
Once I'd be having no more nights under canvas, in Inverness, I Collect+'d my tent, sleeping bag and foam mat, plus a few more bits and pieces, but kept my stove, pan and mug.

On the bike, I used my Camelbak to keep tools in, taking my usual tubes, patches, levers, cable ties, pump, multi tool etc, but added some small pliers, small screwdriver, spare gear and brake cables (with the correct nipple clipped off and taped!) and mini sprays of WD40 and chain lube. I also have a small tin with cleat bolts, spare cleat, valve cores, 10 & 11 spd quick links (the 11 for me, and a 10 spd in case anyone needed one)
I was thinking of taking a couple of spare spokes, as mine are flat, straight pull, and might possibly be hard to source, but didn't.
In the end, the only thing I used was the small screwdriver for a one twist fettle on the front mech to stop some rubbage. No other issues in the 1,200 miles.. Pleased with that, I can tell you!
That's not too say that I won't take the same things if I tour again.

Bar bag was mainly stuff I'd need during the day. Mars Bars, bananas, wallet, Garmin to record the whole trip, sun block, Sudocreme, and paper map for the day.

Panniers were filled with a pair of trainers, clothes, stove and small pan set, spare waterproof(ish) boil-in-the-bag jacket (in the end, just used to stop pans rattling!)
Paperwork for ferries, b&b etc that I'd pre-booked, plus diary and pens and route pages for the different days that I'd cut out of a spare atlas. (I don't 100% trust technology for directions, be it Wahoo, Garmin or phone.)
Tent, Sleeping bag and foam roll were strapped to the top of the rack.

pic.jpg

Emergency bananas and drink were secured under the straps for quick access.

I think that next time, if there is one, I'd not wear SPD's and have to carry two pairs of shoes. But... having two pairs was handy a couple of times as it meant I had dry shoes whilst the soggy pair dried out!

That's about it, I think.

(E&OE)

:smile:

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
great write up. Impressive mileages. I did as far as Inverness in June, had to give up due to injury. Going back for the final 2-3 days at the end of August

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

@jay clock Thanks, it was a challenge, but an enjoyable one (nearly all the time!)
Shame you had to stop so close to the end... Which route are you taking from Inverness?

jay clock

Massive member
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

@jay clock that's pretty much the route I used, but I started near Strathpeffer and Dingwall. (Maybe others could help you better with the route from Inverness) From Crask, I rode via Tongue, rather than turning right to Bettyhill in Altnaharra, as it's worth a visit.
Are you booked in B&B at Crask Inn?

Edit: There's a lovely café in Bettyhill, about 200 yards down a side road into the village.

Last edited:
Top Bottom