My little white dove - possible coventry eagle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I picked this up yesterday. Was advertised as a raleigh but it's certainly isn't. It had a coventry eagle sticker on the front which I removed but I'm not sure really what make it is.

Managed to strip and regrease the bottom bracket and headset, cleaned and a quick polish. Some of the chrome work is pitted but it's not too bad.

Changed the saddle from a black one to this white one to try and keep that "Daz" look.

Not sure of the pipeage as the seatpost stem is 26.6 which means it's not gaspipe but probably not 531. That said it currently weighs between 11 and 12kgs so it's not to shabby.

Need to give it a spin to see how it goes then it's off to fleabay as Mrs T wasn't too impressed with another bike.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 82

AndyRM

XOXO
One of his balls has fallen off, poor chap!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can we see close-ups of the lug clusters, please? The things that stop me suggesting it's a Universal (who prominently said they were based in Rayleigh and are often misadvertised as Raleigh by confused sellers) are the fair-looking brakes and the cable stops on the top of the top tube (Universal more often seem to put them underneath). Is there anything distinctive or could it be another make using the same fairly plain lugs? What diameter is the seat post? EDIT: sorry, I see it's 26.6.

Does the frame number begin with a 2-digit year?

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
The serial number is underneath the cable guide on the BB. Will try and loosen the cables to have a look later.

It has proper dropouts, not stamped ones and even the luxury of a chain hanger off the rear stay. Dropouts are not marked with a name.

I did see a Coventry eagle with reynolds 453 tubing that looked very similar but who knows what 453 tubing is supposed to be.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@raleighnut when I first saw it I thought it was an early 80s rapide or corsa with that oyster pearlescent finish. Checked the serial number and it's definitely not a raleigh format.

Having said that I couldn't leave it so had to buy it
I'd have bought it if I was in the market for another old un but I think 4 Raleighs, my Carlton, Ridgeback and the unknown maker 653 are plenty to be going on with for now (with the double disc Saracen the trike and dual suspension BSO as well :whistle:)

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Took for a spin this morning to the newsagents to pick up supplies. It rides nice but oh those brakes have to go. Might need to strip them down but I might just get it drilled and put modern dual pivots on. Also need to tinker with the rear derallieur. It's index shifting but it's not quite as smooth as I would like but that could be me being picky.

Good news is that I've weighed it properly by setting up a new pet called bike on the Wii fit. It's lighter than I thought coming in at 10.5kgs. Always thought those cruddy luggage scales were off.

That now poses a question on what the pipeage actually is.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd be a bit wary of drilling the rear brake out but there is an easier solution, just use a front brake on the rear and the longer bolt will accept a normal Nylock nut or 2 nuts locked together (the only difference between a front and rear caliper is bolt length)

Top Bottom