My local council's roads dept are beyond a joke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killiekosmos

Veteran
simon l& and a half said:
fillthathole.org works. The CTC keeps a league table of Councils and nobody wants to be at the bottom.

Is that nobody wants to be at the bottom of the hole?:rolleyes:

I'd still recommend telling the council directly. CTC could be used as well but the council would argue that if it was urgent why was it reported to a third party rather than directly? Use both if needed but not just CTC.

OP
OP
R

Renard

killiekosmos said:
BJB,

Which road were you on? Is it in South Lanarkshire Council area? A few thoughts:

* might the repair team have been on a genuine lunch break? Lots of guys have a nap in the van.
* you can ask the council for details of complaints, reports inspections and repairs to potholes. Under Freedom of Information you'll get all this info.
* Councils inspect roads as per Scottish Government guidance. I think C - class roads get a check every 6 months.
* The more such faults get reported the quicker they get fixed. Councils don't want to get sued and you would have a better case if you could show they know about a hole and didn't fix it.

I suggest you contact the Council and ask for info about the road and repairs. Mention the guys having a kip in the van too.

It was the Ardochrig road that runs through Whitelees forest. A bit late for a lunch break though (3.20pm).

Past experience of making a report to the roads dept doesn't bode well. I reported another section of road in December 2006, again in March 2007 and once again in Aug 2007. On the latter two occasions roads inspectors rang me to say that they would have a look, however nothing has happened and that section of road is in an even worse state!

Dave5N

Über Member
simon l& and a half said:
fillthathole.org works. The CTC keeps a league table of Councils and nobody wants to be at the bottom.

I know you're on the Politburo there, but even so, I'm not so sure yer average corpy jobsworth is that bothered by what the cyclists touring club thinks of their roadmenders.

U

User482

BJB said:
It was the Ardochrig road that runs through Whitelees forest. A bit late for a lunch break though (3.20pm).

Past experience of making a report to the roads dept doesn't bode well. I reported another section of road in December 2006, again in March 2007 and once again in Aug 2007. On the latter two occasions roads inspectors rang me to say that they would have a look, however nothing has happened and that section of road is in an even worse state!

In that case, you would have grounds for compensation if you or your bike suffered damage - you can show that the council knew about it but did nothing.

killiekosmos

Veteran
BJB said:

Plan B

1 Visit your local councillors (probably 3 in new multi-member wards) and ask them to get it fixed
2 Ask Planning Dept if there are any conditions attached to Whitelee access for windfarm construction
3 Make an FoI request for details of complaints and repairs

If you pester enough they'll fix it just to get rid of you!

Top Bottom