My Lucky Day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out for a ride this morning with my lovely wife. Went to look at the Church at Eaton near Retford. Close by is the lovely old bridge over the River Idle complete with a nice bench so out came the flask and the butties. Left there after half hour or so and went to another Church at Babworth. A beautiful little Church so went to get my Camera out of Bar bag and...... NO CAMERA!! Left it on the bench at Eaton. Raced back there about 4 miles and arrived at the bench to find my camera still there. Someone had taken it off the bench and put it underneath next to one of the front legs. Never been so relieved. Whoever put it there deserves my sincere thanks. Another cyclist we passed as we left the bridge, may have been him. Whoever it was reinforced my trust in human nature. Hope he may see this. Thank You.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There are honest people around 👍

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Honesty does still exist; good to see. Surprised no one has picked me up regarding the river where the bench was sited. I said River Idle and it is actually River Maun. Been to that site lots of times and always thought it was the Idle. Never stop learning do we?

Cycling Labs

Had a similar experience when I left my little bag with money, credit card and ID outside a shop once. Realised about five or six miles down the road. Turned around and went back to find that someone had taken it in to the shop where the staff had remembered me and were waiting for me to return - faith in human nature promptly restored.

I had a whole pannier bag jump off the rack and only noticed it missing1/4 mile away. The bag with my toolkit was neatly placed by the side of a wall on the pavement.
Thankyou anonymous person.

Alex321

Veteran
I had an even better experience of that type last year.

I managed to drop my wallet in Tesco car park, with a bit of money, all my credit/debit cards & drivers licence in it. Only realised when I went to pay (my wife was with me so we used her card when we discovered mine missing).

Searched the car park, couldn't find it. Told the customer service desk, and it hadn't been handed in.

Went home (about 5 miles), and was just looking up the phone numbers to report lost cards, when a car with a rather chavvy looking couple of people pulls up outside. They had found the wallet, got my address from the drivers licence, and brought it all the way to our house.

Long ago, meaning in 1986, a friend and I stopped for breakfast at about 0600 at the M6 services near Lancaster, en route to a rented cottage near Oban. Over breakfast, we decided that a top plan would be to do a circuit of the Lakes, covering all the passes - essentially the Fred Whitton route as it now is - since we'd never been to the Lakes and that seemed a fun thing to do to add into a five hundred mile drive from London. Clearly, it was a daft / foolish / irresponsible thing to do, but we were young, etc.; and the drive around the Lakes was fabulous :-)

As it turned out, the Lakeland circuit was a very fortuitous addition to the journey since, arriving at the Kirkstone Inn at midday and stopping for some lunch, I realised that I'd left my wallet on the tray at the service station at 0600. All my funds for the two week trip were in the wallet, as well as driving licence and IDs and such. Oops.

We drove back to the services - about an hour - and found that my wallet had been found by staff and was behind the counter. It's safe to say that I was incredibly relieved and extremely grateful. Had we not done the Lakeland detour I'd probably not have discovered the loss until somewhere well north of Glasgow.

Unsurprisingly, I don't put things on trays much any more :-)

Top Bottom