My mate has just sent me this text.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
montage said:
why do those scared of drowning not want to learn how to prevent themselves from drowning should the situation arise?
Probably the same logic as someone scared of getting their head bitten off by a lion not wanting to train as a lion-tamer! :smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This is what used to be shown on TV advertising to encourage people to learn to swim.

youngsterslearntoswim1973.jpg

'Mummy, I'm frightened' ;)

I learnt to swim as a child, my mother took my sister and me to the pool for lessons (with an instructor) every Saturday. I loved being in the water, represented my school and everything.

But then as a teenager I freaked out for no reason what so ever in the pool on holiday and haven't so much as been in a deep bath since.
I have no idea what switch got flicked in my head or why, but I can't stand the idea of going in the water these days.

I only taught myself to swim when our daughter was a toddler. I could see that she would end up learning to swim, but her dad would not be able to go with her, so I would miss out on a lot. So I took myself off to the pool and basically made myself keep trying until I got the hang of it. A noseclip and some goggles do help to overcome the unpleasant feeling of the water on your face, to start with.....

Fast forward a couple of years and I took up kayaking, which gave me plenty of opportunities to put my new found skill into practice! Sometimes the swims were even on purpose.....

And I ended up being a kayak instructor, all because I made myself learn to keep my little girl company...

Top Bottom