My mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Made a mistake this morning. Nothing came of it, no major hoo haa. I wasn't flustered, or anything like it, but I just noticed that I had done something wrong. Just thought I would post it, to see if you agree with me, and maybe others will avoid similar situations in the future.

Are we only supposed to find one mistake then?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Not much time to dump the anchors in the wet, a primary position would have served you better in terms of space but just as easily the driver might have pulled out further. You never know.

One thing I find that varies is drivers understanding of what indicating actually means, being that it is a signal of intention and not a right to immediately move in that direction. FWIW I feel the driver in question appears to have seen you and let you go.
It's only a question of whether the driver looked and then indicated or vice versa.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, just one mistake ;).

As for the cross hatching, notice that I don't stop and the traffic is just starting to move a few cars ahead, so I knew I wouldn't have to stop.:smile:

As for spelling mistake on the last page. Is there really? Can you be sure of what I was going to say after the pause.....:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

tdr1nka, if you watch the video, he starts to move over (slowly) just before the indicator goes on. I had already noticed that he was reading something lying on the steering wheel. So I think he probably started to move before he looked.

My spidey sense wasn't working this morning.

Actually the rest of the commute was great. 3 different cars waved me on or out, when they didn't have to! ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

tdr1nka said:
OK then.

'Whatthef*ckin'blazeswereyoudoingridinginsuchapassivesecondaryposition?
Takeyourspaceorthey'lltakeyou!':angry:;):smile:

Is that better?:biggrin:

Sorry I didn't quite catch that...:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

So you're saying that your mistake was to not anticipate the driver pulling out without looking for you properly?

No. My mistake was overtaking in the outside lane whilst taking a very poor (almost gutter like) line during the overtake.

Yes the driver made a mistake, but I should already be compensating for that.

shunter

I suppose if you were actually overtaking the car then your position should have been more in the middle of the lane but to be honest you were not at that stage and it looked like you may have been in the process of moving into that position ie. if the other car had not encroached into your lane without looking first.

I think you are just looking for faults that are not there, in your cycling , just so you can appear more human to the rest of the forum:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

shunter said:
I suppose if you were actually overtaking the car then your position should have been more in the middle of the lane but to be honest you were not at that stage and it looked like you may have been in the process of moving into that position ie. if the other car had not encroached into your lane without looking first.

I think you are just looking for faults that are not there, in your cycling , just so you can appear more human to the rest of the forum:laugh:

:biggrin:

No I honestly thought I had made a mistake there (I still do). I did mutter at the time, but I'm not sure the mic picks it up. I've posted mistakes before, but all my detractors forget that!

Good cycling (in my view) should reduce the risks to a minimum whilst keeping up good progress. I was progressing ok, but I didn't leave a safety margin.

Anyway, as I said, it wasn't a biggy, just a daft error that had the driver continued could have got nasty. I suppose I'm posting it because the potential was there.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
magnatom said:
Aye, just one mistake :biggrin:.

As for the cross hatching, notice that I don't stop and the traffic is just starting to move a few cars ahead, so I knew I wouldn't have to stop.:biggrin:

Point of order with regarding entering the cross hatching. You should only enter the box junction if your exit lane is clear which yours clearly was not so the point that you did not have to stop is not relevant.

If you tried doing that in London and had a number plate you would have a fine from TFL on its way to you in the post.

So put yourself down for 2 mistakes :biggrin:

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Point of order with regarding entering the cross hatching. You should only enter the box junction if your exit lane is clear which yours clearly was not so the point that you did not have to stop is not relevant.

If you tried doing that in London and had a number plate you would have a fine from TFL on its way to you in the post.

So put yourself down for 2 mistakes :biggrin:

Point taken. Although, had the traffic been completely stationary, I would have been filtering down the middle, so you could say as one exit was closing another was just opening up....:biggrin:

That's a very busy stretch of road there, Mag. You seem very confident in those conditions.

Did you cycle quickly because that's your natural speed or were you intending to keep up with the flow of traffic?

Downward

Guru
With the traffic heavy up above I would have approached the stopping traffic a lot slower - For the sake of a few seconds extra on your journey it's food for thought.

Top Bottom