My mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think I classify it as a mistake, just as you recognise it would be advisable to have been in a more prominent position. The driver seemed to look first before pulling out but you can't always rely on that.
I think rather than sitting behind the car in the hatching and perhaps leaving myself exposed, I would have overtook then, putting my self in a more prominent position. That's just a theoretical however, as I wasn't there at the time, etc.

I had something very similar to that at Stratford Station tonight,I had pulled right into primary to let a bus in to the bus stop and a car did an absolutely similar thing from my right pulling into the left hand lane from the middle.I had my hands on the brakes and blew the horn.Identical but from the right to left whereas yours was left to right.

Motorists wing mirror was not in action which meant she only had the centre and right hand side mirror.She should have adjusted it silly cow.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

beanzontoast said:
That's a very busy stretch of road there, Mag. You seem very confident in those conditions.

Did you cycle quickly because that's your natural speed or were you intending to keep up with the flow of traffic?

A bit of both. It's downhill here so I generally hit about 25mph just before the lights if the road is clear. I usually do keep up with the traffic. I find it is generally safer if I do.

I wouldn't call it a mistake either -I think you're being hard on yourself. It doesn't look like he was indicating until you were right behind him, and a different position wouldn't have given him more chance of seeing you.

If your mistake was being in a risky place had he pulled out earlier, then that's still a non-anticipation of his poor driving.

I'd call it more of a learning incident.

It made me jump a bit but as I said I had something almost identical at Stratford tonight.;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

A learning incident is a good way of putting it. I'll be giving cars more space in this situation in the future!;)

It happens mags I knew I was out of position tonight when it happened to me but the moton wasn't absolutely blameless and I don't think it was all your fault either.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

hackbike 666 said:
It happens mags I knew I was out of position tonight but the moton wasn't absolutely blameless and I don't think it was all your fault.

I'm probably not explaining myself well enough! I'm not too concerned about it, just saw situation which I could have handled a bit better. Maybe calling it a mistake is a bit strong, but there is room for improvement.

I like posting these 'incidents' as it helps focus my mind, and maybe helps others to consider how they cycle. Certainly don't loose any sleep over it! ;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's a pretty rarefied 'mistake'. Show us a proper mistake, one where you spot a bit of localised flooding, think "I'll pavement-hop around it", attempt to hop on to the pavement, catch the kerb, flip sideways and then aquaplane on your face into the water/sewage. Something like that. For example.

magnatom said:
A bit of both. It's downhill here so I generally hit about 25mph just before the lights if the road is clear. I usually do keep up with the traffic. I find it is generally safer if I do.

I mostly do this too. Not sure why I do it, but it feels more like you are part of the traffic rather than an obstacle in some people's way.

Top Bottom