My name is Mossy and I am a Kickstarterholic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Kickstarter, Crowdfunding et al are a joke.

They target lots and lots of relatively unsophisticated (sorry @MossCommuter ) tiny investors rather than a small number of relatively sophisticated investors. The quality of business and financial information that they provide is woeful and would definitely not pass muster with larger investors. While they have your money you're an unsecured creditor so if they go bust you've lost your investment. And a lot go bust

For a laugh I looked into a Crowdfunding project for a cycling apparel business. It was a hopeless. They didn't even publish a business plan on the kickstarter website, there was a link to click if you wanted it. So I clicked. It never came. I feel sorry for these tiny investors not used to this sort of stuff. They're going to lose their money

It's so true.

@mossy

Try applying this rule next time you look at a kickstarter.

If this man approached you in the pub and was offering you the same deal, would you hand over the readies?

1Del-Boy.jpg

Okay, yes so would I just for the laugh, but you get the idea.

It's so true.

@mossy

Try applying this rule next time you look at a kickstarter.

If this man approached you in the pub and was offering you the same deal, would you hand over the readies?

1Del-Boy.jpg

Okay, yes so would I just for the laugh, but you get the idea.
Not really the same deal at all. If the man was showing you an artist's impression of a cutlery canteen and promising to bring it to your house in 6 months but expecting you to pay full retail price now ......

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well "trending" on kickstarter is dodgy Italian watches, "worth 1000s - to you mate, €139" so it's hardly far from he art that was being aped...

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ian-luxury-watches-filippo-loreti?ref=popular

Actually that's a pretty smart business model.

1) Set up some website that implies you're an Italian manufacturer of watches (but of course you're not) with nice pictures of craftsmen making watches, named after cities in Italy
2) Make out that you're going to retail them at some exorbitant price and this is massively discounted. But of course you never do retail them
3) Get a load of orders and get them to pay up front so there's no risk to you
4) Go to your Far East supplier and get them working on the order, pay them when they've fulfilled the order
5) Get the straps finished in Italy to suggest a nice bespoke service
6) Send your customer the crappy Far East manufactured watch and pocket the profit, never having to put up any money to do the order yourself

Actually I have no idea if the watches are any good or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were of a similar standard to any other EUR150 watch that's made in Far East

OP
OP
MossCommuter
And then Apple came along with their iPhone 7 and made them compulsory

OP
OP
MossCommuter
I've backed several Kickstarter projects (including Litelok) but would only ever invest money I can afford to lose.

My 'vice' in this respect is microfinance, and I have both Lendwithcare and Kira accounts.
I've got a kiva account

I have quite a menagerie. Cattle, goats and sheep are my favorites

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've done one kickstarter. For a bike light. Was nearly a year late due to development, but it's a cracking light. Not massively powerful, but a good road light, and handy for off road. It's just about to go on general sale.

https://dinglights.com/

I like the look of that, I'd need to fettle a mount as I wouldn't have it on my bars on my day to day foldy bike.

On a scale of no problem at all to 'you'll veer off the path and end up in the water' how good would the down light be to see by through Clayton Vale at 6am or 10pm in December.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I like the look of that, I'd need to fettle a mount as I wouldn't have it on my bars on my day to day foldy bike.

On a scale of no problem at all to 'you'll veer off the path and end up in the water' how good would the down light be to see by through Clayton Vale at 6am or 10pm in December.

I bought an extender bar for my old MTB as there isn't the room. The down light is great off road and it's enough to ride with off road but I do use it with a twin T6 to see further. If doing the trails at clayton you might want a cheapo t6 for the extra throw. It's a good commuter light.

Top Bottom