My name is Mossy and I am a Kickstarterholic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cheers. I'm only a commuter through the Vale anyway, knees are too knackered for MTBing nowadays, it sounds like it'll be worth a punt.

Oh you've got to have a go on the trails. Great fun.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I backed a project which offered a locking system to immobilise the quick release on wheels. The idea and design were good and I contributed £20 for a pair of locks.

The project was plagued by difficulties including supposed ill health on the part of the inventor. The major issue for me was communication and the setting of unrealistic targets. The project clearly went badly wrong and I could have understood this and gone along with it if the inventor had regularly and clearly communicated with his backers. When communications were received the promises and targets set always proved unrealistic

I received my locks 12 months late, the quality is poor and one will not lock! If this had been a shop purchase it would have been returned for a refund. From what I gather manufacturing is complete but the guy has run out of cash to despatch the product.

I walked in to it very naively, wasted £20, but learned a valuable lesson. Don't go near this type of operation again. Why in my right mind would I give money to a total stranger on the basis of a vague promise?

U

User169

I've only done it once on a home brewed kickstarter.

Pledged 100 eurobeans for a bottle of beer from a guy that's trying to raise money to expand his brewery.

Sent the money about 3 weeks ago and get to pick up my bottle of beer next weekend.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've only done it once on a home brewed kickstarter.

Pledged 100 eurobeans for a bottle of beer from a guy that's trying to raise money to expand his brewery.

Sent the money about 3 weeks ago and get to pick up my bottle of beer next weekend.
Heineken-New-Bottle.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Established companies seem to be increasingly using kickstarter as a marketing tool.

Not quite what it was aimed for, but I suppose it's a simple offer of 'x' in return for money amount 'y', so no harm is being done.

Take Tern bikes, they are an established company trading worldwide.

Their latest ebike, the Vektron, is on kickstarter.

It's a standard Tern folder with the Bosch crank drive - nothing wrong with that, it should make a nice ebike.

What it isn't is any way revolutionary or inventive, all the bits are already to hand. it's just a matter of tinkering with the frame to accept the Bosch drive and battery.

I cannot see how Tern needs funds to develop such a model, so the kickstarter page is purely marketing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rn-vektron-folding-electric?ref=NewsDTNov0316

http://www.ternbicycles.com/

OP
OP
MossCommuter
Established companies seem to be increasingly using kickstarter as a marketing tool.

Not quite what it was aimed for, but I suppose it's a simple offer of 'x' in return for money amount 'y', so no harm is being done.

Take Tern bikes, they are an established company trading worldwide.

Their latest ebike, the Vektron, is on kickstarter.

It's a standard Tern folder with the Bosch crank drive - nothing wrong with that, it should make a nice ebike.

What it isn't is any way revolutionary or inventive, all the bits are already to hand. it's just a matter of tinkering with the frame to accept the Bosch drive and battery.

I cannot see how Tern needs funds to develop such a model, so the kickstarter page is purely marketing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rn-vektron-folding-electric?ref=NewsDTNov0316

http://www.ternbicycles.com/
It's said that the original pebble had sufficient backing without kickstarter but they wanted that vibe and kudos that kickstarter generated

AndyRM

XOXO
You seem to have left out a huge step in your appeal. How does £2K help get someone who was earning £30K/week in 2014?

Ah, this is the cunning part, I just get them back in the region (a ticket from Canada and transport from wherever Shola is). The club will hear of this and automatically sign them back!

Top Bottom