My new bike is on its way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Promised myself a new bike this year and think I've shown unbelievable patience.
Have been trying to decide between a synapse or defy
Guys in the cannondale shop were great but didn't much like the bike
Loved the giant but the youth in their shop managed to piss me off as I was going for my wallet
Found the same one online for £150 less so maybe I'll ride over and thank him when it gets here

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/280933/products/giant-defy-3-2014-road-bike-white-red-grey.aspx

I'm sure you're none of you interested lol but had to tell someone and my nearest and dearest are utterly sick of bike talk

Congrats, I've got the 2013 model, you're gonna love it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've yet to meet an unhappy Defy owner.

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
My new baby arrived yesterday ^_^ Only needed bars doing up and saddle adjust but was dark before all done so didn't try it
It's peeing down with rain now !!!! It seems so cruel to get it all wet and grubby ..
May wait till the mudguards arrive ..
Decisions decisions

Kbrook

Veteran
I bought that same bike just before Xmas. I love it and it's my winter bike now, couple of things Rutland don't do a complete set up of their cheaper bikes. Just check that the steerer is tight, mine was very loose. My gears front and back also need tweaking, that aside I love it.

Kbrook

Veteran
If you are buying the Defy specific mudguards you may, depending on the size of your bike, have to create a new hole where the rear mudguard attaches to the seat tube. I have a large and had to make a new hole, I just used a very hot screwdriver to pierce the mudguard. Once fitted they are great and don't need tweaking.

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Mudguards arrived and fitted too late to go out again.. Postman didn't get here till after 4 pm..
I thought they was all finished and in the pub by midday
Mines a medium so guards fitted quite easily..
Everything seems tight enough but I have checked everything
Bought my last bike from Halfords so had to learn how to put a bike together lol
Shall take it out tomorrow whatever the weather.

Whilst typing this I've been staring at my new camelbak water bottle..
Theres no hole at the top .. hows water gonna get out ?

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Finally got out yesterday (fri) for a few miles to check everything. .. Was set up pretty good straight from the box.

Took it on the regular club run today and did an extra thirty miles .. Just on 100k altogether
Went very well. I discovered that downhill with a 25mph wind behind it's a very speedy machine

Other than a slightly sore bum I've got no real aches and pains so very pleased with both Rutland cycles and giant

Compared to the carerra zelos I've been using last year it feels lighter and more manouvarable,
rolls much better and is I think a smoother ride. Whether it's any faster is hard to say given the breeze we've had today.

I want a new bike every day

OP
OP
fatjel

fatjel

Veteran
Half solved .. still no hole for the water to come out but somehow it does !!!

More pressing probs now tho.. Only thing I had to fit to the new bike was the pedals.
popped them on finger tight cos pedals tighten up as you go don't they ?
seems not in the case of the left one. stayed in for 100 miles before it came loose and trashed the thread in the crank arm

£35 for a 2nd hand crankset off ebay.. Have felt more stupid but don't recall when

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I usually tighten my pedals well. Because the grease in the pedal may be a bit sticky to start with. Finger tight is a good starting point, so you don't cross thread the pedals, but if the pedals hang up due to sticky grease or not enough grease, they may wind out. I had a bearing fail on my left pedal, and it screwed right out. Good thing I was traveling with my usual slowness, trying to get MP3 to replay a stretch of music. Stuff like that happens to everyone.

Top Bottom