My new bike shortlist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Finally, after about five years of waiting and wanting I am in a position to by a new damn road bike.

I'm a bit of a Giant brand fan - that's because my 2008 Aluxx Defy has been brilliant. Its done about 30,000 miles so it's time for a new bike. I will probably wait for the January sales but not much longer after that.

My criteria:
  • Carbon Frame
  • Disc Brakes
  • Around the 8.5 KG mark or less
  • 11 speed would be nice
  • Thru axle
  • Size Medium / 54
  • Frame warranty (lifetime)
I don't want to spend more than about £1300.

My top choices are:
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2018) - Rutland have one on sale for £1358
11 speed (corrected)
giant-defy-advanced-2-2018-road-bike-green-rutland-cycling.jpg

The Giant TCR Disc 2018 is also very nice at £1398 from Rutland
giant-tcr-advanced-2-disc-2018-carbon-road-bike-black-rutland-cycling.jpg

Scott Addict (2018) - Hargroves have some at £1299

And this Specialized Roubaix has really caught my eye at £1329

I like other brands such as Trek, Wilier, Planet X

I've also seen this nice....
Focus Izalco Race Disc

And I would be happy to buy British with a Vitus ZX1 Aero Disc

AND FINALLY this Tifosi Scalare looks rather nice
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/tifosi-scalare-tiagra-hydraulic-disc-men-s-road-bike-2018.html

Any way, super excited that finally I can get a decent bike!

Any other bikes to consider ??

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
I'd probably go the tcr disc but am also biased.Cant help with other recommendations.

Slick

Guru
I reckon we all have our favourites as I would always look to genesis but I can see why you like the Defy as I looked at it myself before going with what I know and love.

I've posted a couple of "Which Bike" threads which were excellent at uncovering some great deals around the country but the truth is I always reverted to what I know. Hopefully you will get some good li ks of your favourite machine on sale. :okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Finally, after about five years of waiting and wanting I am in a position to by a new damn road bike.

I'm a bit of a Giant brand fan - that's because my 2008 Aluxx Defy has been brilliant. Its done about 30,000 miles so it's time for a new bike. I will probably wait for the January sales but not much longer after that.

My criteria:
  • Carbon Frame
  • Disc Brakes
  • Around the 8.5 KG mark or less
  • 11 speed would be nice
  • Thru axle
  • Size Medium / 54
  • Frame warranty (lifetime)
I don't want to spend more than about £1300.

My top choices are:
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2018) - Rutland have one on sale for £1358
11 speed (corrected)
View attachment 442321

The Giant TCR Disc 2018 is also very nice at £1398 from Rutland
View attachment 442322

Scott Addict (2018) - Hargroves have some at £1299

And this Specialized Roubaix has really caught my eye at £1329

I like other brands such as Trek, Wilier, Planet X

I've also seen this nice....
Focus Izalco Race Disc

And I would be happy to buy British with a Vitus ZX1 Aero Disc

AND FINALLY this Tifosi Scalare looks rather nice
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/tifosi-scalare-tiagra-hydraulic-disc-men-s-road-bike-2018.html

Any way, super excited that finally I can get a decent bike!

Any other bikes to consider ??

The Giants (a brand I like - my old bike is a TCX1) have that new fangled braking system which put me off considering them for my new bike

NightCruiser

A few weeks ago, I created a construction concept based on a Giant frameset. But after some comparisons with other manufacturers, I discarded it again. I just don't like carbon. Lightweights always have more or less a problem with stiffness and as long as I don't race, the total weight is secondary to me. But that doesn't mean that this will make it cheaper!

FlatSpinMan

Regular
I’m a Giant fan too, but aren’t all the new models tubeless set ups? I believe that makes for a smooth ride, but how would it be to maintain? Lots of disc brakes, too, whereas I’m more of a caliper guy as I’m utterly crack-handed at any kind of maintenance.

NightCruiser

Lots of disc brakes, too, whereas I’m more of a calliper guy as I’m utterly crack-handed at any kind of maintenance.
Even rim brakes always have a minimum maintenance requirement, especially when hydraulically operated. The real problem I see here rather on the most framesets, where usually only Bowden cables are taken into account and therefore the discrete fixation of the hydraulic line is more difficult. But you just don't have to accept everything the bicycle industry dictates.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
OK, it is done. I actually ordered a new firkin bike. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

Defy-Advanced-3_Color-A_Carbon.jpg

Managed to get a 2018 Giant Defy Advanced for just over a grand.
It's 10 speed - better than my 9 and I'm sure I wont miss not getting 11.
I like the ten year frame guarantee.
I don't like the tubeless setup but perhaps I will grow to trust that.
I'm hoping it will be a bit lighter than my 9.5 kg Alu Defy
Biggest bonus for me is the brakes, although they are fugly at the front.

I had a few other bikes on my shortlist, the Vitus ZX1 Aero was a close second.
I nearly went for the Giant TCR Advanced Disc but it was nearly £1500 and the budget kept creeping up.

I regret not going for the Scott Addict but it sold out over the weekend but I can't dwell on it.

At this time of year, it really is the last chance to pickup a medium of the bike you want.

It comes on Wednesday!!!!!

My 10 year old trusty steed will now be my winter bike.

And my winter bike will go on a turbo, poor thing

Last edited:

lazyfatgit

You will grow to love tubeless......or not. It can be a bit of a faff. Worst case just empty out the sealant, remove the valves and stick in tubes.

I’ve just changed a tubeless rear tyre after a year where I know I punctured twice (sealant splatter on downtube) but got home without any drama and just pumped up to my preferred pressure. I hope you have a similar experience.

Enjoy your new bike.

mustang1

Guru
Recently I've been riding a more endurance type of road bike and when I got back on to my race geo bike, I couldn't believe how awkward it was to use. Sure I got used to it again within a few minutes but it just didn't feel as stable or comfortable as the endurance bike.

Before riding the more comfortable bike, I would have said get the TCR, but lately I'm beginning to understand what all the fuss was about with endurance frames, hence I recommend Defy, or at least some comfortable-for-mortals frames such as the Roubaix you mentioned.

(I still think race-geo frames _look_ much nicer than other frame-types though. ;)

edit: typos

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
OK, it is done. I actually ordered a new firkin bike. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

View attachment 442899

Managed to get a 2018 Giant Defy Advanced for just over a grand.
It's 10 speed - better than my 9 and I'm sure I wont miss not getting 11.
I like the ten year frame guarantee.
I don't like the tubeless setup but perhaps I will grow to trust that.
I'm hoping it will be a bit lighter than my 9.5 kg Alu Defy
Biggest bonus for me is the brakes, although they are fugly at the front.

I had a few other bikes on my shortlist, the Vitus ZX1 Aero was a close second.
I nearly went for the Giant TCR Advanced Disc but it was nearly £1500 and the budget kept creeping up.

I regret not going for the Scott Addict but it sold out over the weekend but I can't dwell on it.

At this time of year, it really is the last chance to pickup a medium of the bike you want.

It comes on Wednesday!!!!!

My 10 year old trusty steed will now be my winter bike.

And my winter bike will go on a turbo, poor thing
Looks excellent, enjoy. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom