1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my new bike!

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by skmc1955, 23 Jun 2008.

1. skmc1955

skmc1955 Well-Known Member

just ordered a Dawes Horizon(aluminium) to do a bit of day/weekend cycling, anybody got one of these, or an opinion on them?

2. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Not got a Horizon but I've had a Discovery and the husband has a supergalaxy and we're both big fans of Dawes!! When does it come?

3. OP
    OP
    skmc1955

hi cathryn, it arrives wednesday,I,m on nights this week so I hope they manage to wake me up when it arrives, I can usually sleep through the bin mens visit!

4. Cathryn

You'll be too excited - you'll be wide awake!

5. Baggy

Baggy Cake connoisseur

I own a Dawes Horizon (a steel one) called Betty. We've trundled many thousands of happy miles together - hope you enjoy yours :smile:

6. OP
    OP
    skmc1955

I,ve just had a quick look at your site, some great pics of fantastic places! I,ll have a better look when Ive got more time, who knows, one day me and my horizon may get there!

7. OP
    OP
    skmc1955

hi Baggy, is it obligatory to give your bike a name, apart from the one you call it when you get a puncture!

8. Baggy

Baggy Cake connoisseur

Well, sometimes a name suits them, sometimes not...

Betty is Betty Blue, cos she's blue, and I also have Poppy, who is very red and has a big "P" on her head tube. Before that I owned two nameless green bikes.

Names also make things less confusing in this house as we own 3 blue bikes and 2 red between us...!

9. Cathryn

Glad you like it.

My bike is called Liesl. I think it completely obligatory to name your bike. Wouldn't you name anything else that you spent hours riding???

10. ...and I have an Ultragalaxy called Reg...

11. Plax

Plax Veteran

I've never named my bikes. I just call them either the GT / Hybrid (for my GT Nomad Sport), or the Dawes (for my Ultra Galaxy). The latter is "Metallic Grey" (looks a bit dark green to me), and is by far my "favouritest" bike in the whole wide world. Should I at least consider a name for her? For some reason Grethel just popped into my head!

PS skmc1955 you will fall in love with the Horizon I have no doubt.

12. dragon72

dragon72 Veteran

I have a 2004 Horizon (also Aluminium) and think it's great. Still haven't given her a name. Suggestions please.

Horizons have their fair share of knockers (ooh err) but I think they're great value for money.

Sure, I've spent a little bit of cash upgrading (Brooks B17 saddle, SPD pedals, new bottom bracket after 3,000 miles, new rear cassette & chain after 5,000, new gear cable after 5,000, new bar tape after 5,500) but think that pound-fer-pound they're very good value.

The brake-lever shifters are splendid (still can't get my head around why Galaxy people like bar-ends) and never had any probs (touch wood), and it can take decent camping tour loads. I don't worry about rust like steel bike owners would, but concede that if the frame broke in Timbuktu I wouldn't be able to get it welded. But I'll live with that as I mainly ride in the first world.

Not to criticise people who spend 4 figures on a bike, as I envy them massively, but I reckon the Horizon is an excellent "entry-level" choice and will get you on the road enjoying life just a much as someone on a Koga Miyata or Super Duper Schmooper Ultra Schmultra Galaxy.

Enjoy!

13. Cathryn

Totally agree. I have a thorn that I adore beyond words but spent many a year touring on a £200 dawes hybrid and never noticed that my bike wasn't nop notch!!!

14. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Looks a good bike. You'll have to let us know how you get on with it. I'm looking for a new tourer in the autumn.

Where abouts in Hull are you? Anywhere near the TPT. It will be a good route to try the bike out on. I regularly use the Hatfield to Hull section for my commute

15. craigwend

craigwend Grimpeur des Holderness

I live near(ish) Hatfield!

look out for a green galaxy with child trailer going very slow!