my new bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skmc1955

just ordered a Dawes Horizon(aluminium) to do a bit of day/weekend cycling, anybody got one of these, or an opinion on them?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Not got a Horizon but I've had a Discovery and the husband has a supergalaxy and we're both big fans of Dawes!! When does it come?

OP
OP
S

skmc1955

hi cathryn, it arrives wednesday,I,m on nights this week so I hope they manage to wake me up when it arrives, I can usually sleep through the bin mens visit!

OP
OP
S

skmc1955

I,ve just had a quick look at your site, some great pics of fantastic places! I,ll have a better look when Ive got more time, who knows, one day me and my horizon may get there!

OP
OP
S

skmc1955

hi Baggy, is it obligatory to give your bike a name, apart from the one you call it when you get a puncture!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Well, sometimes a name suits them, sometimes not...

Betty is Betty Blue, cos she's blue, and I also have Poppy, who is very red and has a big "P" on her head tube. Before that I owned two nameless green bikes.

Names also make things less confusing in this house as we own 3 blue bikes and 2 red between us...!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
skmc1955 said:
I,ve just had a quick look at your site, some great pics of fantastic places! I,ll have a better look when Ive got more time, who knows, one day me and my horizon may get there!

Glad you like it.

My bike is called Liesl. I think it completely obligatory to name your bike. Wouldn't you name anything else that you spent hours riding???

Plax

Guru
Cathryn said:
Glad you like it.

My bike is called Liesl. I think it completely obligatory to name your bike. Wouldn't you name anything else that you spent hours riding???

I've never named my bikes. I just call them either the GT / Hybrid (for my GT Nomad Sport), or the Dawes (for my Ultra Galaxy). The latter is "Metallic Grey" (looks a bit dark green to me), and is by far my "favouritest" bike in the whole wide world. Should I at least consider a name for her? For some reason Grethel just popped into my head!

PS skmc1955 you will fall in love with the Horizon I have no doubt.

dragon72

Guru
I have a 2004 Horizon (also Aluminium) and think it's great. Still haven't given her a name. Suggestions please.

Horizons have their fair share of knockers (ooh err) but I think they're great value for money.

Sure, I've spent a little bit of cash upgrading (Brooks B17 saddle, SPD pedals, new bottom bracket after 3,000 miles, new rear cassette & chain after 5,000, new gear cable after 5,000, new bar tape after 5,500) but think that pound-fer-pound they're very good value.

The brake-lever shifters are splendid (still can't get my head around why Galaxy people like bar-ends) and never had any probs (touch wood), and it can take decent camping tour loads. I don't worry about rust like steel bike owners would, but concede that if the frame broke in Timbuktu I wouldn't be able to get it welded. But I'll live with that as I mainly ride in the first world.

Not to criticise people who spend 4 figures on a bike, as I envy them massively, but I reckon the Horizon is an excellent "entry-level" choice and will get you on the road enjoying life just a much as someone on a Koga Miyata or Super Duper Schmooper Ultra Schmultra Galaxy.

Enjoy!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Looks a good bike. You'll have to let us know how you get on with it. I'm looking for a new tourer in the autumn.

Where abouts in Hull are you? Anywhere near the TPT. It will be a good route to try the bike out on. I regularly use the Hatfield to Hull section for my commute

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I live near(ish) Hatfield!

look out for a green galaxy with child trailer going very slow!

Top Bottom