My new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am now the owner of a Pinnacle Lithium 4 following a semi-impulse purchase from Evans.

A couple of members of my group have switched from mountain bikes to CX bikes, with a useful increase in speed and distance.

I've tested a couple of CX/gravel bikes, but am not sure I can get on with drop bars.

After a wobble around the bike shop's car park on a £1,000 Cube CX, my thoughts turned to something with flat bars.

Another consideration was the need for a triple at the front, I have to be realistic about my limited climbing ability.

The spec of the Lithium appealed, I wasn't aware you could get a half-decent bike for not much more than £400.

Mostly Shimano groupset, Alex rims, no doubt cheap, but at least they are branded.

The mountain bike geometry suits me, weight at about 11.5kg is not bad for the money.

Tyres are Kenda, which in my experience as original equipment may be no more than round and black, but no punctures so far.

It's my first narrow(ish) tyred rigid bike, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the comfort and the way it rolls.

Lots of bosses and clearance on the frame, so it could be pressed into service as a winter/gravel/light touring bike.

I'm rather inclined to add lots of junk - I mean useful accessories - to my bikes, but the plan is to resist that at least to start with.

The stock saddle wasn't too bad, but I have since decided to use the Lithium as the test bed for my Spa leather saddle experiment, not least because my limited push bike fitness means I won't be sitting on it for many hours at a time.

I've done about 50 miles over a few rides so far and am liking the bike.

It's certainly very easy to get on with, so a Lithium would be a good choice for a new cyclist not sure of exactly what they want.

Lith.1.jpg

Lith.2.jpg

Lith.3.jpg

Lith.4.jpg

Lith.5.jpg

Lith.6.jpg

kiriyama

Looks nice! Like the flat bars. I enjoy my cross bike but there are times where on a chilled out ride along a canal tow path / disused railway line that flat bars would feel far more civilised !

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks nice! Like the flat bars. I enjoy my cross bike but there are times where on a chilled out ride along a canal tow path / disused railway line that flat bars would feel far more civilised !

The bars are stock, although I got Evans to chop an inch or so off each end - giving a width of about 24" - and fit basic palm grips.

The Pinnacle looks solid too I forgot to add

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Love that colour....nice
Looking at seatpost height..you sure thats your size?

Large, which Evans recommend for 5' 10" to 6' 1" - I'm about 5' 11".

I didn't try the next size up, there's only just enough cross bar clearance on this one so there wasn't much point.

I may have lowered the saddle a touch since the pic was taken, but I do like more leg extension than some riders.

The Spa Nidd saddle now fitted looks a bit taller than the stock one, I've not tried it yet but I suspect the post will have to come down a bit more.

Smart, nicer quality than mine but a very similar design.

Cotic even do one in orange.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/roadrat#orange

Yeah but spec it with Hope bottom bracket, wheels etc and it turns into £1400 bike. The pinnacle is a fraction of that, looks identical and will do exactly same job. Great buy and great looking bike :okay:
Post a ride report when you have done some miles, I would be interested in hearing how it is to live with.

coco69

Veteran
Large, which Evans recommend for 5' 10" to 6' 1" - I'm about 5' 11".

I didn't try the next size up, there's only just enough cross bar clearance on this one so there wasn't much point.

I may have lowered the saddle a touch since the pic was taken, but I do like more leg extension than some riders.

The Spa Nidd saddle now fitted looks a bit taller than the stock one, I've not tried it yet but I suspect the post will have to come down a bit more.
No probs....lovely bike

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Congrats!
I got a Pinnacle Lithium 2 just before Christmas, reduced to 318, after being tipped off by @MikeW-71 :okay:
2 days after I rode the 4 miles home from the shop on it got an email: recalled, stop riding immediately!
Uff, wasn't gonna put the bike on trains with Christmas shoppers, went to the shop, they gave me a new rear derailleur hanger to fit.
For one thing or another, never had time to do this for a couple of months, when I got to it the bloody thing wouldn't come off the derailleur!
I enlisted the help of @flyingfifi, we had to drill it off. She subsequently discovered that her older version of the bike had the same problem, also her ols hanger was really hard to come off, like it was over-torqued. Evans denied this.
So worth for you to give it a try, in case one day you bend it, go to replace it and get a nasty surprise.
Anyhoo, about the bike: lovely, but I changed everything :laugh:
Fitted mudguards and rack, new pedals, Schwalbe Land Cruisers tyres, new handlebar grips, after riding it a few times have decided the saddle is not for me, will change that too, and will take a bit off the handlebars.
Having recently discovered Open Pro Mavic wheels on Hope hubs :becool: will save up and get them after the current ones are knackered.
Front disk brake makes a metallic grinding noise, Evans says it's bedding in, I don't quite believe them, if it carries on I will seek a second opinion.
Btw, after about 100 miles the brakes become really effective, careful not to grab a handful and go over the bars.
Love the very low gearing, bit over the top for town, but will serve me well on our forthcoming tour in the Lake district.
Picture of the bike - can't think of a name yet - as it is at the moment, actually, pedals are already not the ones displayed ^_^
No name bike.jpg

Top Bottom