My New Cheap Chinese Carbon Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

philhul

They look good. I can't make up my mind whether to design my own or just leave naked and go for a stealth build. Probably the latter as even if I decided I wanted it painted I don't think I could decide on a final design.

Cardiac

Über Member
It looks as if, like most other people, I have gotten away without paying import duties etc... I had heard that the chinese sellers used clever tactics to get them through but I didn't realise that they just lied! The wheels are noted on the customs sheet as being $80 value and as a sample set with no commercial value.

Chinese & Kong Kong exports vary a lot in my experiance. I buy model helicopter bits from HK - maybe £30 at a time - and they are often marked as "Toy" with value $5. Other times, the correct value gets marked (typically buying Asian CDs). Contrary to what some people experience, I have never had anything fail to turn up. It may take forever, but it gets here. Quality depends on the seller - those who want repeat business generally deliver good products.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Phil - Stealth build for you to consider below. There's lots of these that have been done with different specs, all look the same and all look good
thumbsup.png

DSC_0101.jpg

OP
OP
P

philhul

I've seen quite a few but not that one I don't think - it looks really good. I just can't decide whether to go all black or add a bit of colour like that one. And if I do add colour, do I do it on bar tape, cables, pedals, saddle, decals - I don't want to do all and go over the top. Suppose it would just be trial and error.

My favourite of all the stealths I've seen is this BMC from Weight Weenies.

bmc.jpg

Shame I don't have a BMC, Di2 or Lightweights but I could achieve a similar effect, but then again would like to do something my own idea.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I like the sort of reverse stealth look - bright frame and black everything else like the orange and blue Baum Bikes. Still waiting on a reply from Dengfu.

baum_bikes_1.jpg

OP
OP
P

philhul

I sent some emails to Deng Fu and they initially took an age to reply, before stopping replying altogether. That made my mind up on carbonzone.

OP
OP
P

philhul

Just ordered my frame and fork from echo at carbonzone - 54cm RB002 (non-ISP model) finished in matt clearcoat. $563 or £351, including shipping. I've also ordered a headset as those who don't buy one from the supplier seem to have problems sourcing one over here. Was advised before hand that there will be a 15-17 day wait until the clearcoat is applied, then the usual 4-5 days for shipping.

So hopefully within 3 weeks there will be a My New Cheap Chinese Frame thread! I've also bought a saddle so that's wheels, inner tubes, tyres, brake pads, frame, fork, headset and saddle bought. Group set next...

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Got a quick reply from Carbonzone today: see below as it could help those interested in frames, wheels, seat posts and handlebars:

Hi,sir
Nice to meet you.
Yes,the NON-ISP framesets are available.Welcome to book.
But which frameset size do you need?
There are 49cm,51cm,53cm,55cm and 58cm sizes.

The painting fees are as below:
one color:$50.
two colors:$60
three colors:$70
And if you want to brand your logo,we will make it as stickers(decals),which are about $100-$160.The more complicated the logo,the more expensive we charge.

I have checked the painting designs,and there are three painting colors,red and white and black,so the painting fee is $70.
The letters will be made as decals,so the decals are $135.
It will take about 22-24 days to paint the frameset and brand the logo on the frameset.
Can you accept the time?

Yes,we can offer the 50mm clincher wheelsets.
A pair of 50mm clincher wheelsets are $490.

The carbon seatpost is $35.
The carbon road bike handlebar is $58.

Thank you very much.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Best regards.
Echo
From carbon zone
MSN: echoyangyan@hotmail.com

- carbonzone

s.gif

To: carbonzone
Subject: ??: corrado_kev ? Brand New 12k full Carbon Road bike Frame&Fork????170622028082 ???????
Sent Date: 2011-05-05 03??50?25?

carbonzone????

Hi, I have heard lots of good things about your company and service from friends and on internet forums. I am very interested in an RB003 frameset but non-isp version. I would also like a custom paint design as can be seen in the image at http://www.starperformance.co.uk/kf/Forza_1.gif
Are you able to supply this, can you tell me how much it would be and how long it would take to deliver?
Can you also tell me if you can supply 50mm carbon clincher wheelsets, carbon seat posts and handle bars? Sorry for all the questions but I am genuinely interested. Best regards.

- corrado_kev

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Got a few things to sort out finances wise to see just what I can get really but very interested, will let you guys know when/if I pull the trigger
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
P

philhul

My frame wasn't supposed to be ready until Friday at the earliest but has now been shipped! Update by the end of the week hopefully!

Top Bottom