My New Clements project any help aprreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All,
I've just brought a Clement road bike in need of a revamp (I'm going to use it for Commuting/touring) But on the frame it says made in England The only English Manufactorer I can find was founded in 1990 which doesn't seem to match the bike (I may be wrong) or there is a French company which manufactored in italy later. Has anyone any ideas ?
pic1_zps0riry0e1.jpg

s-l1600_zps7pyahim0.jpg

PIC2_zps7shie9pn.jpg

I intend to keep preety much as is with new bar tape/Tyres plus any other mecanicals which need attention. Would a standard sealed bottom braket be likeley to fit this bike ? First road/ racer bike as we used to call them since earley 1980's for me.

Attachments

• pic1_zps0riry0e1.jpg
    pic1_zps0riry0e1.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 41
  • s-l1600_zps7pyahim0.jpg
    s-l1600_zps7pyahim0.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PIC2_zps7shie9pn.jpg
    PIC2_zps7shie9pn.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 48

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@BADGER.BRAD so you were the lucky bidder , looks a nice bike at a good price

yes a std bottom bracket of the right length should fit ok

I think you will find its a Clements as in the gent who bought out Harry Quinn as well and i think had a factory down in Wales

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello All,
I've just brought a Clement road bike in need of a revamp (I'm going to use it for Commuting/touring) But on the frame it says made in England The only English Manufactorer I can find was founded in 1990 which doesn't seem to match the bike (I may be wrong) or there is a French company which manufactored in italy later. Has anyone any ideas ?
pic1_zps0riry0e1.jpg

s-l1600_zps7pyahim0.jpg

PIC2_zps7shie9pn.jpg

I intend to keep preety much as is with new bar tape/Tyres plus any other mecanicals which need attention. Would a standard sealed bottom braket be likeley to fit this bike ? First road/ racer bike as we used to call them since earley 1980's for me.
As long as the BB shaft is OK (not worn rough) I'd just stick a couple of new bearing races in. Cost a couple of quid and if assembled with plenty of grease will last for years (they were made to last, not just chucked away)
However if the shaft has been neglected I wouldn't put a new one in, the case hardening on those is rubbish (as is the steel they're made from) so unless you can source one from the 80s in good nick you will be better with a 'sealed unit' unfortunately.

EDIT - the only part on the old shaft you need to look at is the bearing surfaces, if these are smooth then it is fine

Attachments

• pic1_zps0riry0e1.jpg
    pic1_zps0riry0e1.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 41
  • s-l1600_zps7pyahim0.jpg
    s-l1600_zps7pyahim0.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PIC2_zps7shie9pn.jpg
    PIC2_zps7shie9pn.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

midlife

Guru
There's a book about Ernie Clements and his various dealings..........note to self to try and find it and have a read :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for all the info everyone much appreciated., I've just collected the bike which I managed to ride up and down my road (after bodging the chain together) it does seem really strange as after using MTB's and MTB based hybrids for the past 20+ years it seems to be really close to the floor (bottom Bracket wise) and also seems really narrow. I've ordered new tyres,tubes,a new chain (was cheaper than a splitlink) and some new bar tape all less than 30 quid off ebay. So it will give me something to play with when it all comes. I will post up a pic when its done.I'm aiming for a usable commuter rather than a gleaming example of not so modern technology.
Cheers all

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
The Clements is now ready for use although I have ordered new cables and will fit the new brake blocks I already have when the cables arive.It has cheapy pedals from Wilko on at the moment as I did not trust the originals. From the information I have found it was made in Newtown Wales in 1982 to 1985 in Clements Coventry Eagle factory. Clements had obtained the Coventry Eagle Name in a deal with Falcon when he left/got thrown out by them. The factory was placed in Newtown as there was a large number of skilled staff from the rescently closed Philips Cycle Factory.The Panniers racks seem to be standard fitment as I found another for sale in a deep red colour with the same racks fitted.
20161208_152944_zpsmno37wlt.jpg

20161208_152604_zpsfakvfeaq.jpg

20161208_152552_zps8yhztwuj.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice. :becool:

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
It was cheap £3.75 My lad(19) says after my tidying up it doesn't look quite as much as if it's from the stone age but he still wouldn't ride it ! A bonus as he regularly takes my MTB out. So it proves each to thier own as regards it's looks.I was going for a good commuter at a cheap price (about £45 all in) with gears as my last commuter the single speed was proving difficult to use after a knee injury.

Top Bottom