my new commute, light recommendations pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I tried out my new 23 mile commute today, and it wasn't too bad! i did it in 1hr 55 mins, BUT 15 minutes to fix a puncture so 1hr 40. And it is damn hilly*.
And another thing that slowed me down was the bloody dark country lanes where I could not see a damn thing. I reckon with a better light, I could go faster and probably shave another 10 mins off as a lot of the time i was limited by not my energy but how far I could see! I didn't really fancy crashing into a hedge at 20mph.

So, have any of you got recommendations for a front light, that will light the way rather than just enable me to be seen.
I'm not going to give criteria or budget etc as i'd rather hear what other people have got themselves and what are the good and bad points from experience rather than just have people looking through the list on wiggle and picking something for me 'cos I can do that myself.

cheers.

* so I don't want any o' you london ponces dissin' my time 'cos 23 miles in the pancake-like south east is NOT the same as 23 miles through derbyshire.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

actually i think i've already made up my mind
i iz gonna get this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13351
unless anybody can think of anything better...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

only a small portion of my commute is on country lanes, and it's probably only going to be dark coming home, not going there. So I'm likely to only need it on about half an hour a day at max! Besides even if not i could charge the batteries at work (you can get rechargeable ones off ebay)

squeaker

Über Member
Wot I got....

Trelock LS730 with 4 rechargeable NiMH (e-bay) and ZL 503 smart charger
(if you haven't got one already). Total less than £45 for a decent light (sensible beam - not just a round spot/flood) that has a low battery warning light (but keeps going for a long time after that comes on).
YMMV, of course.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ghitchen said:
CatEye EL530. 1,500 candlepower, 10 hours at full power, 40 at "get you home", uses standard AA batteries (I use NiMH rechargeables).

Theyr'e shoot! I've got one of those, and it's a genuine work of crapola!

bianco

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?module=kcart&op=view&product=lidilidul5w

If I had the cash I'd go for this, as there's no point being half arsed about your approach, these deffo are rechargeable.
There are some doubts after reading forums from the one you picked whether the unit works adequately with rechargeables.

frog

Solidlight 1203D with a Schmidt SON dynohub. It will illuminate a patch of road about 20 yards in front when set level. Reflective street furniture will show up at around 100 yards. Has a 'standlight' which will give a reasonable light when yor stop for about 6 or 7 minutes. Even at walking pace it generates a strong light. Mine is about to start it's third winter of trouble free service.

Downside is set up cost. But with the life I've had out of mine I think I've passed the 'break even' point a long time ago.

Dinotte Tail Light for the back. Starting it's second winter and again faultless performance.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

I am in a similar situation at the moment.
I am looking at these 2 :

Dinotte 200L w/ 2 cell rechargable lithium battery pack £155

or

Exposure Joystick Maxx rechargable single unit £150ish

Both look the dogs gonads and have very good reviews

The exposure recently got top marks in a number of uk bike mags so it won't be an easy choice to make :biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
mikeitup said:
I am in a similar situation at the moment.
I am looking at these 2 :

Dinotte 200L w/ 2 cell rechargable lithium battery pack £155

or

Exposure Joystick Maxx rechargable single unit £150ish

Both look the dogs gonads and have very good reviews

The exposure recently got top marks in a number of uk bike mags so it won't be an easy choice to make :biggrin:

The Niterider MiNewt X2 also deserves a place on that shortlist.
It has IMO the best spread of light I've seen from a LED.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...0031093&N=NiteRider MiNewt X2 LED Front Light

OP
OP
B

bonj2

P.H said:
The Niterider MiNewt X2 also deserves a place on that shortlist.
It has IMO the best spread of light I've seen from a LED.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...0031093&N=NiteRider MiNewt X2 LED Front Light

that looks nice, have you got one or any experience of using one? and i might just be able to stretch to the cost of it.
Any figures, e.g. wattage, battery weight?

to be honest i'm more interested in lightness and power than burn time, so any that lean towards this side of the trade off would be better.

Top Bottom