My New Commuter/town Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benno1uk

Yay- That's the same as I've got! How are you finding it? I have to say Edinburgh Bike Co are great aren't they.

I like the fact it's only got 8 gears - don't seem to need any more. Also think it looks really cool. The ride is a bit harsh but then I haven't ridden a bike for quite a few years so might be normal. How to you think it compares speed wise to a 700 wheeled hybrid?

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Hello Benno

The bike is great , before buying it I had three options to travel to work, My mountain bike (heavy, big tyres, suspension) all of which made using it a grind, the suspension did at least soak up the bumps, my fixed wheel bike which was O.K but the hills I encounter on my commute were right on the limit of what I could achieve on fixed wheel and the car the less said about that the better :biggrin:

I was a bit worried about only having 8 gears but have found this to be ideal just the right amount of gears and spacing between them to tackle the up hills and yet give a good turn of speed down hill. Brakes are very good and the frame very stiff and quick steering in traffic.
You are right a little harsh on the bumps but you can't really get away with that without loosing the advantages the bike has. The only things I have done is fitted a cheap rear mud guard to keep the wet off my backside and fitted a set of lights.

For the price I don't think I could have done any better with regards to a fast commuter the only things near it cost at least twice as much !!. I don't really think that there is any difference between the 26X1.5 wheels/tyres or 700c but at least if you wished to fit some fairly wide tyres to make the ride a little less harsh you have that option with the 26 inch wheels.

PS Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

benno1uk

You're right about it being good value (especially as I got mine just before they put the price up to £299!) as it seems pretty similar to things like the Cannondale Badboy and Giant Escape.

I only wondered about the 700 wheel compared to the 26 as I considered getting the Race version but there are quite a few tracks and towpaths where I live so figured the smaller wheel would be better suited for those.

Got my first puncture yesterday (since I was about 12!) and had a nightmare trying to put the tyre back on the rim. I snapped a tyre lever and repunctured the inner tube in the process - ended up pushing it 3 miles to LBS who changed it in about 5 mins. Oh well practice makes perfect I guess.

I haven't got a rear mudguard yet but have lights a Topeak saddle bag (medium aero) which I would recommend. Got a few bits on my Christmas list too!

i too have a revolution (courier race version) which i picked up for £100 on ebay, bargain! it's my most used bike, use it for all my town riding, shopping etc, and used it recently on a century ride.
i know only too well the frustration of trying to refit tyres. i have marathon plus on the revolution and they are a pain to get on the rim.
cheers, velocidad.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
It took me sometime to decide which one to go for, I'd been riding fixed wheel for some time as a commuter but needed something Halfway between the converted fixed wheel racer and my mountain bike ,something a little tougher than the racer but not as heavy or complex as the mountain bike. I even at one point thought about the fixed wheel version of the Courier but decided in the end that there was no point in having two bikes so similar. The courier stands up to a few trips down the local tow paths and also an old railway I use to visit my sister. So is Ideal.

Some tyres are very difficult to get on and off my little one had a BMX
with small 20 inch wheels which I had to scrap the tyres on as he couldn't get them on and off ( I killed two inner tubes on the thing)
Is it the continentals you have fitted ?

benno1uk

Yes that are the Continentals that came with it. The guy at the bike shop said the rims were also quite 'sharp' - I think he meant the edges are not rounded which he said makes the tyres harder to get on. It's probably partly due to my cack handedness too;-)

Top Bottom