My new Devon Road Cycling Blog...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All was going well untill i read the Depression bit at the bottom

Not Bookmarked

simon

Baggy said:
I don't understand why you took offence at that? It seems an honest enough account - a lot of people suffer from depression after all.

No Offence taken by the poor chap suffering from depression Baggy ... but at the end of a days work when i sit down to relax and have a read it's not the sort of reading material for me mate

We all have stuff that gets us down ... i guess some people like to publish it ? and maybe some people like to read about it ? buts it's not for me

Simon

OP
OP
E

EasyTom

Jakes Dad said:
All was going well untill i read the Depression bit at the bottom

Not Bookmarked

simon

Thanks for the feedback. I've only just started it so I don't really know where it's headed. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that entry. I want to be honest about what I'm doing but you're right - it's a public text and isn't necessarily what people would like to read on a cycling blog. That said - I've been interested in people's personal lives as well as the ostensible subject matter of some blogs. I've also been bored by self-centred ramblings. A blog is quite a relaxed affair though where people can just pick up on articles/subjects that they're interested in. Other, entries are already off the first page so the depression one will be too soon. (Unless I just decide to delete it.)

I'll have a think about it. Cheers anyway.

Sometimes long rides can be a struggle, life is a struggle and in your writing you are being true to yourself. Don't delete your depression post, it is entirely valid. Personal details are what makes blogs so fascinating and real. For every negative view there are likely to be dozens of (often unspoken) positive ones. I have blogged openly and honestly for 5 years with plenty of personal content. Along the way I have met some incredible and inspirational people. Keep at it!

Perfect Virgo said:
Sometimes long rides can be a struggle, life is a struggle and in your writing you are being true to yourself. Don't delete your depression post, it is entirely valid. Personal details are what makes blogs so fascinating and real. For every negative view there are likely to be dozens of (often unspoken) positive ones !

I agree with that ... Just because it's a bit to deep for me does'nt mean that other people wont find it interesting or relate to it ... i enjoyed the cycling side of your blog and being in Devon as well i can relate to the area that you are cycling in ... Keep your own style of writing Tom for every one of me that finds it a bit deep their will probably be another 100 that will enjoy reading it

I hope i have'nt offended you Tom

Simon

OP
OP
E

EasyTom

No - no offence at all, it's interesting to hear everyone's opinions.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that it is an interesting blog and I enjoyed reading it. I must say - I got a bit of a shock when I read the depression post though because it was such a sudden contrast to the other stuff, but that's the point really isn't it?

What I would suggest is that if you want to be honest and put those kind of posts in your blog, maybe it would be an idea to mention your depression on the About me and this page entry. I read that first, and it left me unprepared for what was on the other page.

I'm going to be starting a similar site soon, dealing with my cycling adventures in Yorkshire and Lancashire, but I'm not sure that I'll be that open and honest about my bad days (I do have them).

Keep it up!

OP
OP
E

EasyTom

That may be a good idea Colin, thanks.

By the way I've just updated the blog with something a little more lighthearted :biggrin:

Top Bottom