My New Hybrid Has To Be My Favourite.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've been commuting for a year on a hard tail MTB and recently bought a Hybrid for fine weather commuting (Voodoo Marasa). I also bought a road bike for weekend/leisure use.

This week, I did my commute on the hybrid (Voodoo) and wow, what a difference in performance.

Lighter (no front suspension) and really nice and comfortable geometry.

The narrow tyres still provide pretty good grip in the gravel and the reduction in tyre drag over the MTB is very noticeable.

I'm finding the hills so much easier and the gear range means I am (almost) road bike fast on the flats.

The hybrid is not as fast as the road bike and it won't be so easy to and cheap to maintain as the MTB is, but only a week in, and I've decided that my new hybrid is now my go to bike.

Is this how it normally plays out when you buy a new bike?

markstev27

I also have the Voodo Marasa. Got it 3 weeks ago and it's fantastic. Great speed, hills are a lot easier. Done another 150 miles in 3 weeks on it and the gears just needed a slight adjustment. Great bike

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I also have the Voodo Marasa. Got it 3 weeks ago and it's fantastic. Great speed, hills are a lot easier. Done another 150 miles in 3 weeks on it and the gears just needed a slight adjustment. Great bike
I sorted the gears when I first got it. The rear just needed a bit of barrel adjustment but the front wasn't lined up properly. That was only a ten minute job though.

Really smart looking bike, light but very robust.

My only gripe is that the front mech blocks the rear mudguard from fitting to the mount behind the BB. Had to use a cable tie further up the seat post instead.

Brilliant bike though. So fast.

This was from my commute yesterday.

1622896706912.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Those tyres aren't so narrow at 40c. I suspect you'll get pretty fed up mending the punctures so a good chance to swap them out for some around 32c? Run at max they should give you even more speed :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't run anything narrower than 35's or 1 3/8" tyres on a utility hybrid or roadster as I want the ride comfort more than any percieved speed increase.
I reckon tread design has a much greater influence on tyre drag than width anyway.

scragend

I swapped the 40s that came fitted to my (current) Marasa with a set of Specialized Trigger 38s from my old one. Quick rolling on the road and good grip off it. They were already well used but are still going strong over 1300 miles later. Only had one puncture. I run them at max pressure.

I prefer the comfort and stability of a wider tyre so, although they do look a bit chunky, I think I'll stick with them. Maybe go down to 35 at minimum.

Both my bikes are technically hybrids. The Scott is a pure road frame though, just with flat bars and wide 3x8 gearing. The Revell could take wider tyres, but would need wider wheels first! The Scott is limited to 25s, so it only scrapes into the category, really.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I swapped the 40s that came fitted to my (current) Marasa with a set of Specialized Trigger 38s from my old one. Quick rolling on the road and good grip off it.
I wonder if the marketing men at Schwalbe ever watched Only Fools and Horses ^_^

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Both my bikes are technically hybrids. The Scott is a pure road frame though, just with flat bars and wide 3x8 gearing. The Revell could take wider tyres, but would need wider wheels first! The Scott is limited to 25s, so it only scrapes into the category, really.
Today, I did a bit of a test ride by making myself and the hybrid roughly the same weight as myself and the MTB.

The Hybrid still killed it and I can only assume that it is down to the reduced tyre drag?

It's quite a difference as well. A good 15% faster.

Top Bottom