My New Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I have a Ridgeback Element that I planned to fit drop bars, but after some advice from chaps on here I decided to get myself a road bike.
She arrived today a Cube Aerial Comp, I managed to get her out for a quick spin between the sleet showers.
She's had the brakes upgraded already, and I'm sure I'll make a few other tweaks as time go on, maybe new lighter wheels. The weight difference between the Cube and the Ridgeback is unreal I can't wait for an improvement in the weather so I can give a good run. Anyway back to polishing.
P.S Anyone want to buy a Ridgeback.;)
snuggly035.jpg

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Just out of interest I weighed the two bikes the Ridgeback came out at 12kg and the Cube at 9kg. Is 9kg pretty average for a road bike?
cube005.jpg

peanut

lovely bike you are going to be blown away at how fast that is going to be after the Ridgeback
Interesting that both pictures show each extreme combination of sprockets and chainrings.

One would never use these combinations in riding of course as the chain would be too much out of alignment for smooth operation.

9Kgs is a pretty reasonable weight for that bike . You can cut the weight dramatically by changing the forks and seatpost to carbon and possibly change the cassette and pedals .
You could shave 200gms off the wheel weight but it would cost you £150.00 + to save that small amount of weight.

Instead you could save more than 200gms by changing to a carbon fork £45.00 .
Change the Tiagra cassette for an ultegra c£30.00 and lose another 150gms .
Change the triple chainset for a compact 105 and lose another 200 gms or so.
Save another 150gms changing to a carbon seatpost c £30
If you want to lose weight start with cheaper heavier componants first

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Cheers chaps, the chain and chain ring etc were dry as a bone when I got the bike so I'd been oiling just before the pic's that explains the position.
Looking forward to dry roads.
Just priced up the chainset and cassette, how much work is it to change to compact 105 chainset from a triple? Adjusting the front derailleur etc worries me.

peanut

gb-locks said:
Cheers chaps, the chain and chain ring etc were dry as a bone when I got the bike so I'd been oiling just before the pic's that explains the position.
Looking forward to dry roads.

There is much controversy about oiling but logic tells me the outer surfaces of the chain and chain rings should have no oil applied. It will simply gather dirt dust and mud and transfer it into your rear mech and cassette sprockets. It will become an oily mucky mess in no time.

The chain as supplied has a special lubricant already applied during manufacture. It is applied to the bearing surfaces where wear occurs ie the pins and plate holes etc.
Its your choice but I have always run my bike's transmissions completly dry and have been for 30 years + I have never had to replace anything yet due to advanced wear. I would normally replace my chain and cassette once every 2 years or so anyway if I was racking up the miles
this is how my transmission looks all the time
cassettechain.jpg

Looks like you made the right choice gb your new steed looks very nice as they say you can't make a silk purse out of sow's ear :wacko:
When it comes to oiling the chain When I fitted a new chain a few years back I applied the it's already oiled in the factory logic I did the Pedal for Scotland ride a few days later and it rained all the way, during that it the outside plates of the chain developed some rust spots. I don't think it made a difference to the life of the chain but it was unsightly so I've always oiled after that.

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Thanks HLaB I'm pleased so far it felt like a bit of a gamble going for a Cube as I've not seen many about, I'll let you know how I get on with her, just from the spin I had out on her yesterday she felt really nice, there was that much salt on the road I spend the evening cleaning and polishing.:wacko:

screenman

Legendary Member
Now when it comes to losing weigh, it is often cheaper to lose it off the belly rather than the bike.

peanut

HLaB said:
When it comes to oiling the chain When I fitted a new chain a few years back I applied the it's already oiled in the factory logic I did the Pedal for Scotland ride a few days later and it rained all the way, during that it the outside plates of the chain developed some rust spots. .

thats a surprise ;) all my new chains recently have come smothered in wax to prevent them rusting in storage.
My new chain is going to be all silver . I hope it stays that way:biggrin:

Top Bottom