My bike in front of a Pinfold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
A preserved Pinfold in Outrawcliffe Lancashire it says there are a small number of preserved ones in Lancashire are there many across the country, I believe that the owner of the livestock found loose and impounded there were fined before they were released.Im on my Spa Audax Mono in fixed gear mode.

IMG_20220808_131051.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Had to Google what these were. Never heard of them before. Very interesting.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
They were thousands across the country at one time, somtimes just a small enclosed field, the only evidence for most is the name "Pinfold" I've seen loads of Pinfold lanes, Avenues, Close and roads, never seen a stone one before though.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We have one in our village, although referred to as the village pound. It's only a replica of what was originally there, just a simple wooden fenced structure, and has been rebuilt several times.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't comment for anywhere else but pinfolds are common across Lancashire and often seen when walking or hiking.

As the OP says the existence of one is usually hinted at by a road name. I learned about them several years ago as I begun to wonder why I seemed to be forever riding on Pinfold Road, Lane etc.

I'm not sure but I think the unexplained stone enclosures one often sees in the middle of a field, often containing mature trees, are defunct pinfolds.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't know about elsewhere but here in Lancashire we also have numerous Parsonage Lanes, Roads and so on.

In fact directions could easily be carry straight on to Pinfold Road and turn right, then take the second left on Parsonage Lane which runs on to Parsonage Road. Now you have to be careful as it's tricky to spot Pinfold Avenue but turn right when you do, follow this to the second cow byre on left, take the third right on Parsonage Close and the Vicarage is just up there on your left.

Oh Vicarage Road? Why didnt you say? Sorry go the opposite way down Pinfold........

Venod

Eh up
FB_IMG_1660027391662.jpg

Beyond this wall was an enclosure for animals, not sure if it was a Pinfold though, there is one nearby at Barnburgh.
This village is Hooton Pagnell.
The bike is a Cannondale Synapse, now with different wheels tyres and seatpost.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I posted pics about the Pinfold in Hathersage the '... something different ' thread a while ago.

View attachment 656456

View attachment 656457

Here they are again ^_^

Interesting possible origin of the surname Pinder.
Great to see so much interest in these little gems of history, so glad the good folk of Outrawcliffe felt the need to preserve it in 1987

Last edited:
Top Bottom