My bike in front of a Pinfold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That’s a Stell found on hill and moor ground for sheep. We say "the sheep were stelled in the snow" When shepherds were plentiful sheep were put in during snowstorms I know one in Yorkshire built by cistercian monks.

I'm always happy to learn new facts. Thank you 🤗

FrothNinja

Veteran
That’s a Stell found on hill and moor ground for sheep. We say "the sheep were stelled in the snow" When shepherds were plentiful sheep were put in during snowstorms I know one in Yorkshire built by cistercian monks.

I don't think stells, though looking the same, served the same specific purpose. Pinfolds/pounds where used in a similar way to a dog pound - for detaining stray stock until the owner paid a fine.

Datum2

Über Member
Docking Pound. Norfolk. The Pinfolds and Pounds that survive to this day have usually had several makeovers over the years to preserve their historic relevance. Some come with bench seats for the benefit of the weary cyclist to sit and ponder a bit of Manorial history.
This one has had the walls lowered and turned into a low maintenance garden. Next door is the village lock up, again well maintained.

Docking.jpg

OldShep

Über Member
I don't think stells, though looking the same, served the same specific purpose. Pinfolds/pounds where used in a similar way to a dog pound - for detaining stray stock until the owner paid a fine.

That’s right they’ve a totally different purpose. A pinfold needs to be big enough to house a few animals until the rightful owner collects them. A stell is big enough to enclose a heft of sheep allowing husbandry. A heft was rarely bigger than 5 score and could be less. Several hefts make a hirsel and one shepherd would look after a hirsel.
Ive seen a stell with a ring ensconced in a large stone in the centre. Told it was a dog stone for securing a dog in the middle. No idea why though.

FrothNinja

Veteran
That’s right they’ve a totally different purpose. A pinfold needs to be big enough to house a few animals until the rightful owner collects them. A stell is big enough to enclose a heft of sheep allowing husbandry. A heft was rarely bigger than 5 score and could be less. Several hefts make a hirsel and one shepherd would look after a hirsel.
Ive seen a stell with a ring ensconced in a large stone in the centre. Told it was a dog stone for securing a dog in the middle. No idea why though.

I imagine a tethered dog would be useful keeping foxes etc at bay

Datum2

Über Member
Catching up with bike in front of or beside!
From 2022
Bardney, Lincolnshire
Bardney Pinfold.jpg

Morton, Notts
Marton Pinfold.jpg

Screveton, Notts
Screveton Pinfold.jpg

All 3 are referred to as Pinfolds. Nottinghamshire, especially around the Newark area has several Pinfolds/Pounds that have been rebuilt with money from community funding. There are some really well maintained examples of all all shapes sizes and materials used in their construction.

Datum2

Über Member
Cycling in Beccles area today. The town Pound is in good order.

20230327_145101.jpg

20230327_145051.jpg

Datum2

Über Member
Todays quest for Pounds and/or Pinfolds resulted in two street names and a load of odd corners where they used to be according to First edition OS maps. Some examples from todays bike ride.
20230520_091710.jpg

HARBURY, a large horse chestnut tree sits on the actual Pound location
20230520_104231.jpg

Similarly a street name in the Lillington area of Leamington Spa.
20230520_100325.jpg

At the top of the hill in Radford Semele, an overgrown area of trees and bushes. This was the Pound site over 150 plus years ago.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Todays quest for Pounds and/or Pinfolds resulted in two street names and a load of odd corners where they used to be according to First edition OS maps. Some examples from todays bike ride.
View attachment 690579
HARBURY, a large horse chestnut tree sits on the actual Pound location
View attachment 690580
Similarly a street name in the Lillington area of Leamington Spa.
View attachment 690581
At the top of the hill in Radford Semele, an overgrown area of trees and bushes. This was the Pound site over 150 plus years ago.

Your collecting enough for a book!

Top Bottom