My new steed.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Is that some sort of chainguard on the XT chainset? It should be illegal to sell them like that!

bauldbairn

Very Nice Bike chigman! :bravo:

I've recently had a look at their website - they do make some beautiful bikes. :bravo:

You've had it three weeks...are we getting a review then? What type is it/spec/what do you like about it most etc,etc? :bravo: - :smile:

OP
OP
C

chigman

tundragumski said:
Is that some sort of chainguard on the XT chainset? It should be illegal to sell them like that!

Yeah it is a chain guard, kinda looks naff 'n' all dunnit.:evil: Can you take them off I wonder ? will look into that.

The bike is a Cube sl cross team hybrid and goes like sh** off a shovel, especially with the slicks on. The bike is reasonably light and feels good underneath the rider and I feel well in control of it, like part of it. Have taken it of road a few times as well and performs very well on forest type trails as long as it ain't to undulating.:wacko:

I've been increasing the mileage on the bike week by week and my speed is getting there nicely but am suffering some back ache, so need to do a few adjustments and tweaks here and there me thinks. The more I'm riding this bike, the more I'm liking it. Out again tomorrow and cant wait.:sad:

Steve

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
chigman said:
Yeah it is a chain guard, kinda looks naff 'n' all dunnit.;) Can you take them off I wonder ? will look into that.

Very nice - you might want to keep that chain guard thingy on depending on what you wear on the bikes of course, if you're in mufti you can get a nice oily chain ring mark on your strides. :biggrin:

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
lol - theres me trying to put a chainguard on Helen's Bike, and you trying to take yours off :biggrin:

I personally would leave it on, saves trousers from damage/oil and injury to your leg etc if you catch it on it. Every time I hoist Helen's bike up on top of the car, I catch myself on the chainring :/

OP
OP
C

chigman

AndyCarolan said:
lol - theres me trying to put a chainguard on Helen's Bike, and you trying to take yours off :biggrin:

I personally would leave it on, saves trousers from damage/oil and injury to your leg etc if you catch it on it. Every time I hoist Helen's bike up on top of the car, I catch myself on the chainring :/

How strange. I have just this second read your post on the chainguard subject. Spooky dude.:biggrin::laugh: I may just leave it on then, sod it.:biggrin:

Steve

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
chigman said:
How strange. I have just this second read your post on the chainguard subject. Spooky dude.:biggrin::laugh: I may just leave it on then, sod it.:biggrin:

Steve

I personally dont think the chainguards look too bad really anyway :biggrin:

Very nice looking bike!

e-rider

crappy member
but this is a chainguard on an XT chainset - I personally hate them on any bike, but on high end bikes/chainsets such as this Deore XT it's 10 times worse!

If you are wearing baggy trousers/jeans without any form of cycle clips then leave it on; otherwise take it off. They are usually held on by 5 tiny screws, so even if you remove it you should be able to put it back on later if you change your mind.

OP
OP
C

chigman

Hi

I agree, it looks much better off the bike than on :wacko: and as you say just a few screws which took seconds to take off. I have also took a few grams off the weight of the bike.:tongue:

Steve

rh100

Very nice looking bike

I put a new chainset on my hybrid, it came without a guard, I promptly ripped my trousers on it the next day. So now I tuck into my sock :thumbsup: (I have clips but are bright yellow, no way :biggrin: might if I can get some black ones).

Tried looking for a chain guard but the add on ones look really noggy, couldn't transfer the old one as the holes were different alignment.

Top Bottom