My new touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or you could adjust your derailleur correctly and not get taken in by marketing of unnecessary products...

P.H

Über Member
Thank you. The two quid I just saved might go in the beer kitty.
You pays your money and takes your choice. The Dog Fang works fine, but I doubt you'd find anyone who's used both that doesn't prefer the Jump Stop.
As for Clarion's point, it must be nice to have such confidence that your chain could never come off, I wonder how many people with missing paint used to be that confident.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not sure if the gears are poorly adjusted, it might just have been over-enthusiasm on my part. You're right though, I like the idea of belt and braces - chains coming off on a sunny afternoon is one thing - in the middle of a rainy night seven quid might seem like a good investment.
Even on a sunny afternoon you don't want your new chain damaged and your brand new paint job all scratched.

With the quality of componentry on this Thorn, there is no need for an ugly muck collector.

Do so many CCers really not know how to adjust a front mech? Admittedly, it's a lot easier for a friction lever - set the top limit, set the bottom limit & ride off (which is one reason why I tend to use friction gears for touring) - but even with silly stuff like STIs it's not rocket science.

If you like STIs, that's fine. I'm not a fan, for lots of reasons, but that's not relevant. Sure, STI makes gears a bit more difficult to adjust, but there is no way your chain should be coming off. If it did on your first ride, well, it just needs a tweak, is all. It'd be surprising if the shakedown ride on a new bike didn't highlight some adjustments needed in various ways. Doesn't mean you need a daft accessory.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Knowing how to adjust a front mech and getting around to adjusting a front mech are two very different things. Actually adjusting a front mech precisely is something completely different again. Especially on a tandem with a 53-40-27 triple.

We have a jump stop, and if properly adjusted itself it works. It's silly not to have a "daft accessory" if it's cheap and makes your life easier.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A chain can still drop even on a perfectly adjusted mech especially with modern chainrings. Harsh mistress is physics.

PpPete

Legendary Member

PpPete

Legendary Member
Mech properly adjusted eliminates only 99.9% of chance of a chain drop.**
The dog fang properly adjusted deals with the 0.1% at a cost of 7 grams and £4.50 for the cheap taiwanese copy or £7.50 for the Deda one.
What's not to like?

** And even pros on doubles drop chains occasionally. Well, if you can still call Andy Schleck a pro that is.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Actually I was thinking of buying a Galaxy
you did well not to, for doing the rides you tend to do. I had a Galaxy (sold recently to fund a new Thorn Sherpa) and lifting it into the car made me realise how much heavier it is. The Thorn Audax is noticeably lighter. This may have something to do with the fact that the Galaxy is a load lugger capable of toting back and front loaded panniers, tent, sleeping mat, stove etc etc. I have done several tours on it and it is fine. The Thorn Audax is a lighter bike, made more for, um, er, audax rides, with a bit of luggage (eg saddlebag). After Lon-JoG last year I rode on the Audax from Victoria to London Bridge with 35lbs of luggage, inc 60 litre rucksack with camping kit and two full rear large Ortliebs. Not sure if the bike or me was the unhappier. We both wobbled rather alarmingly in the heavy traffic. But the Galaxy would have been fine.

Top Bottom