My new touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well this hard core boy isn't going to mock.
Had one on my Secteur Elite Triple and it saved the chain a few times.

Dog Fang away dearest.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
First long ride today (about 45 miles & pretty hard work, I'm so unfit). Very comfy, but the first time I tried out the smallest chainring the chain did exactly that! Might just be adjustment I suppose, but for £7 one of those dog fangs might be a good idea, whatever they are. Will I be mocked by the hard core boys, like they do for those plastic disc things? (Not that I care much, of course ^_^ .)
They're also very difficult to spot, nestling behind the crank in the crook between down and seat tubes.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
for £7 one of those dog fangs might be a good idea, whatever they are

Beware of two things. Of two things, be aware.

Thing the first. They come in differing sizes. Your paperwork from Thorn says something about the front derailleur fitting a 28.6mm tube. So get one fits that size of tube. Check this size. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-dog-fang/
I had the 28.6mm so I think you will, too.

Thing the second. When you get it there are no instructions. But you need to first tighten the screw on the nut, which drags the nut into the plastic a bit. Then when you put it on the downtube the screw will reach the nut. If you do not do this it will not reach the nut and you will go out and buy a longer screw, as have many peeps before you, and probably many after.
These pix show where it goes
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=de...sAQ&biw=1024&bih=660&sei=mUJKUbn2K4jtOvStgZgC

Somewhere on the interwebs is a pic of Bob McHardy (a finer man never wore socks) banging a metal tyre lever with a furkin great brick to shift a chain that went off a small chainring and jammed itself, in a most inconsiderate manner, between the bottom bracket and the going-round-part-of-the-pedally-bit on someone else's frame. This was funny for about five minutes before we all got cold, what with this being December on the Mince Pie and Stollen on Romney Marsh in a friggin gale. It's seven quid well spent, believe me.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54741.msg1115496#msg1115496

Shows in easy-to-understand words and three photographs why audax will never catch on with The Bloomsbury Set. And why a Deda Dog Fang is worth seven quid.

Your dog fang must be rather special. Mine will never stop a chain jamming between two front rings... :whistle:

London Female

Über Member
I finally decided to go to Bridgewater in Somerset to SJS Cycles, to look at the Thorn Audax Mk3. They only had the one small frame in stock, specced for someone else who didn't take it, in the 'guest' colour (British racing green) I would have wanted anyway, and they were happy to change the bar-end shifters for STIs and the honey-coloured saddle for a black one, so I bought it. I think it's rather beautiful.

View attachment 20508

That looks lovely and just about the right size for me, sadly my budget won't stretch to a thorn but I have seen a couple of Dawes Galaxy 2012 models which have been reduced by a fair bit.

Top Bottom