My new trike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Angliaboffin

Regular
First test flight done. A quick 3 miles (between showers). Wow, its twitchy, but not as heavy as I was expecting. Also, loads smoother than expected, compared to my racer. I think I'm going to like this a lot.

Ganymede

Veteran
First test flight done. A quick 3 miles (between showers). Wow, its twitchy, but not as heavy as I was expecting. Also, loads smoother than expected, compared to my racer. I think I'm going to like this a lot.
Twitchiness is the thing that puts people off riding my 2-wheel bent. I do have a ludicrously tiny front wheel though (16"), the next one will be 20". You get used to it quickly. Oh you'll have SUCH a nice time!

machew

Veteran

As your legs move back and forth, they change the weight distribution and if you don't compensate, the trike weaves a little. In a very short time, you learn to apply counter pressure to the opposite bar and the trike stays straight. The amount of pressure is tiny and subliminal - almost just 'blocking' the steering.

OP
OP
A

Angliaboffin

Regular
Done a fee more miles. As Machew says, the more gentle I am with the steering, the better. Trying not to grip it too tightly seems to be working. My averages are down a bit from my other bikes, but fun and comfort levels are way up.
Twitchiness is the thing that puts people off riding my 2-wheel bent. I do have a ludicrously tiny front wheel though (16"), the next one will be 20". You get used to it quickly. Oh you'll have SUCH a nice time!
I am doing already. Its great.

Mine was really twitchy at first. I am now much more used to it, but still find it an issue going downhill fast. I'm lucky having a 2015 model because they have introduced something (small nut I adjust) to make the steering heavier which I have done and it is better than it was. I may still adjust it again yet... :whistle:

Some ICE trikes have a damping mechanism which can alter the steering - It is a small adjuster on the headset:

IMG_20150124_123906.jpg

....the twitchy steering, or shimmy as it's often called, can happen on some trike designs, and not others. It's a bit of a mystery as to what causes it, but the cure seems to be adding in some stiction to the steering, as is the case here with the ICE shown above. Both my home built tadpoles have had shimmy, and on my mk2 I added some rubber washers to the ball joints and reduced the shimmy so it's no longer an issue. I also live in a flat area, so no chance of breaking any speed records, typical jaunt maybe 12mph average............

Some ICE trikes have a damping mechanism which can alter the steering - It is a small adjuster on the headset:

IMG_20150124_123906.jpg
yep - that's the thing and it does make a difference. I have to confess to having mine dampened almost all the way, but I prefer it that way to assist with 1 handed steering (and occasional non-handed steering ( yeh I know) plus going downhill with both handed steering!

To steer a trike no handed, you have to lean the wrong way.
To go left, lean right and vice versa.
Its part of the fun of riding trikes.

To steer a trike no handed, you have to lean the wrong way.
I read that with an extra R in it... :whistle: and was :scratch:ing my head there for a minute.

Sadly I also have to counter the really bad camber on the roads around here... that has my trike all over the place. Cheshire country lanes don't seem to want to be either flat or level... they frequently disappear at the sides, have massive cracks in them and the LHS is often my lower (erratically) than the middle of the road.

I will give it a try. I have found with cornering at speed (ie, downhill) to let myself go with the bend is the best option so if the bend is to the right, then going left does seem to work better - which would tie in with the steering.

Top Bottom