My old MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a 2000-2002 (can't quite remember) Saracen Fastrax. I bought it new when I really didn't have a clue about bikes, it wasn't expensive, around £180 at the time. It has shimano grip shifters and mega range SIS 21 speed gearing with "SPS" crank set (not sure of brand but SPS stands for smooth precise shifting?). It has a "hand built in the UK" 7005 oversize series alloy frame and pretty basic RST preload only forks. I changed the front wheel and brake set up to disc from some parts I came across. The mudguards are cheapy "Flinger" but they work well. These pics are fresh from a 31 mile 4 hour ride yesterday around High Lodge Thetford forest MTB courses where it performed admiraly (although I think it would benefit from a major service, as it's never had one) proving you don't need new expensive kit to put a smile on your face!
https://www.strava.com/activities/234962897

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
My full sus Saracen AWOL, bought new in 2006 I think.....
Was ridden until last year when I got a new bike. However, it's in the shed awaiting a new rear hub/wheel :smile:

20140216_152108_resized.jpg

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I wasn't meaning for that reason :blush:
Just that I love a dirty MTB

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Not sure what to do here, the bike is well in need of a major overhaul, it has "revoshift" shifters which are not precise (rubbish), iffy headset bearings, iffy bb, knackered chain (so freewheel aswell), cheapo flexy rst budget forks, flexy plastic housed brake levers and worn out rear brake blocks and while I'm at it I'd quite like to change the rear wheel to QR
My issue is - do I replace/repair the main problem areas or forget it and just buy another (budget) bike say below £400? I don't do a whole lot of mountain biking but obviously the bike needs to be in the best fettle it can be. Already toting up a parts list this is going to add up. I'm not really after a top MTB as I just wouldn't do it justice, so £100+ on upgrading or £400 on a new bike?
Edit - or just leave it as it is and let the wife use it as she wouldn't notice any of the above! (Not being sexist it's just fact).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Having just refurbed my bike (see to "upgrade or not", in the mtb section) took it out today for its first shakedown test
https://www.strava.com/activities/249100552
But it was so wet, cold and mucky it was hard to judge if I've improved matters much! The drivetrain was pretty good and the new wider bars definetly an improvement, but the gear shifting on the rear went steadily out of sync, so some adjustment required. Basically nothing fell off so that was good, but the cheapie mudguards I bought off ebay were next to useless with all the puddles about off road.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh, me and the "Charge Spoon" didn't exactly see eye to eye on our first trip together, it felt a bit hard!

U

User42423

Yes Oskar, that is a Kirk. I disposed of it this year, gone to Germany.

Top Bottom