My old Raleigh Lizard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp

Hi Colin.........there is a Lizard alive and well in Ireland.......picked one up cheap last weekend.

Lovely sturdy bike with huge bottom brackett.....in the process of servicing mine at the moment....will post pics soon.

martyp

My 20 quid lizard...

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I've still got my lizard had it new back in 1992 I think it was, had it for Christmas when I was a teenager, I think it was out for one year only, three of my mates had them for Christmas the same time. They were everywhere that year, classic early 90's colour scheme, it was all florecent orange and greens and rave music lol fond memories!

I've put suspension forks on mine, v brakes, new saddle, bottle cage, Blackburn mtb pannier rack, spd pedals, front mudguard. I put aluminium wheels on, The frame, gearing, chainset, seatpost handle bars are original, I've kept the canti brakes and forks and what not so can put it back to it's original glory if I decided to.

I use it down the canals, popping to the shops and the odd commute, I love it had it about 18 years, and hopefully will still have it in the next 18 years!

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I've been trying to think exactly when I had mine, I had a look at some documentation I had with it but there's no dates, I'm starting to think it was the winter of 1990 now! Anyone know what year for deffinate? That would means it's 20 years now lol i'll have to sort some pics of mine and post them.

martyp

Attachments

• IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 250

Goldie

Über Member
Hi,
I have been told that before. I have an Falcon Trekker with alloy frame at only 18 months old and it does not ride as smooth as the Lizard, the Trekker creaks a lot.

I'd go with that - I had a Raleigh Nexos a short while ago, built around a similar looking frame to the Lizard (down to the cable threaded through the top tube) and it felt like a million dollars next to my three year old hack Raleigh Tundra. The Nexos was quiet, ridiculously stable and felt like it would come off best in an argument with a Range Rover, wheras the Tundra is creaky and generally feels like none of th screws on it are tightened, but that the threads would instantly strip if you tried it.:huh:

eta

I've already asked on another thread - but does anyone know where I can get a new spindle for the bottom bracket? It appears to be a non-standard one, with LH threads at both ends for the bearing plates (the cups are push-fit into an oversize BB shell with a 51mm internal diameter),which makes it adjustable - it was easy to fit a non-standard oversized racing crank, for example.

I wrote to Raleigh, but strangely they don't keep any records or old parts from previous models.

eta

Finally, after a year of searching, I found the right BB at http://www.porkchopbmx.com/

Back in the mud now, and the next thing to change will be the saddle for a sprung one.

Top Bottom