1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My old school...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Noodley, 11 Jun 2008.

1. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I went back tonight for the guided tour as elder Noodley Jnr. is moving to secondary school after the summer break.

I knew a few of the staff, most of whom were only just out of teacher training when I knew them and some who I was at school with. They all greeted me with handshakes and recalled "the good old days"...I think she only now realises I have not always been a miserable old bugger :wacko:

2. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

No. She now realises with an ever awakening sense of horror and dread as the day she starts her new school approaches.... that all her teachers-to-be are as much miserable old buggers as the parent is... and all with a painfully embarrassing (to offspring) fondness for recalling the days when TV was in black & white, there was no Sky and no mobile phones: The Dark Ages

3. Noodley

Noodley Guest

The school have had the "new" first year students for the past 2 days, and they have attended classes and met classmates and teachers.

Before I met the teachers I knew she had told me how "cool" and "awesome" they were...by association, life beyond "dad" may have dawned on her :wacko::angry:

4. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Ah Noodley, I fear you are living in a haze of parental blissful ignorance. We've all done it... :wacko:

As for now.. she may have been looking forward to the new school and thought the teachers were cool... but now the horrible truth is dawning on her.. :angry:

5. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Bugger! :biggrin:

...could you not have allowed me a "moment of hope"? :angry:

6. Night Train

Night Train Guest

She will also realise that she can't get up to anything at school as the teachers know her parent!

7. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

I am a cold, hard-hearted woman. :biggrin:

8. Noodley

Noodley Guest

That DID register :wacko:

9. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

It was a moment of hope that made me a parent in the first place! :biggrin:;)

10. Night Train

Night Train Guest

It can also work against you when a teacher says to her "When I was a pupil here I remember when your..." and relates some embarrassing story about you.

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Yes, she also discovered I may not have been the easiest of pupils to teach...:wacko::angry: But that may have gone in my favour with her...

12. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

When I was in the third year at school (I think) and beginning chemistry lessons, we all had to go to the back and pick up our text books. I duly collected mine and returned to my seat, whereupon I began to peal off the library labels. At the bottom was written my mums name and dated 1963 (or thereabouts, I think)! :wacko:

13. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Obviously you hadn't heard of the saying 'hope against reason'! :smile:

14. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

So where did the birds go then? And the sun. Eh? Eh? :smile:

15. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

When I went to senior school (circa 1968) I got a book out of the library and the person who'd last borrowed it was my Dad in 1935! It was 'The History of Mr Polly' - HG Wells.

There were also 2 teachers still there who had taught him.