my other rat ridea.Any ideas on this one?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by megtilly1, 23 Feb 2018.

1. megtilly1

megtilly1 Regular

Got given this last year and just stuck a few bits on it had lying around. It's my transport ofor choice when I visit my mum's in Wales.I was told it was possibly a 70s-80s Viking.Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. I like Skol

I like Skol I'm adamant I haven't got any PPI....

Without doubt it needs a front brake. I suggest you don't ride it until it has one!

Toshiba Boy, Drago and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

as @I like Skol says a front brake

other than that it looks good

4. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Regular

why is it a big thing with having to have a front brake.aren't front brakes more dangerous as they like to send you flying over the bars.

5. midlife

midlife Veteran

Two reasons, front brake helps with braking and perhaps the biggie one is that it's a legal requirement to have one.....

6. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

arch684 likes this.
  7. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

No but they are much, much more likely to stop you than the rear brake.

8. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Veteran

9. I like Skol

I like Skol I'm adamant I haven't got any PPI....

The front brake does most of the work and is the most effective when you need to stop quickly. Without one you risk hurting yourself, or even worse, somebody else!

10. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Regular

its probably me going back to my bmx days when you only used your front to do front hops or front endo,s as we called it then.but more often than not you would end up over the bars.

11. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Regular

anyways any idea on make of bike and age?

12. nonowt

nonowt Well-Known Member

I hint my teens during the BMX racing boom and remember front brakes were sometimes removed to save weight - so I know where you're coming from. But on a road bike I find the front brake offers more control and stopping power.

Back on topic: from the forks crown and pump peg I'd say mid 80s? Possibly 501 tubing. If you flick the top tube with your fingernail and it 'rings' it could be 3 tube 531. If it sounds dull it's probably just hi-ten steel. Is there a frame number ? It could be any of the big brands from the time from the lugs.

13. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Regular

Thanks for that and braking advice,will get a flicking when I'm Wales next time.Where will the frame numbers be?

14. OP
    OP
    megtilly1

megtilly1 Regular

I did the flick test on my other single speed and the frame rings but forks don't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice