My perception of life has changed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was doing 40mph going down a hill yesterday and all that time, I couldn't help thinking what could happen if I came off. Many years ago, I would have thought nothing of it and enjoyed it. It is strange how you become more aware of your vulnerability as you get older and how life is very fragile really.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was doing 40mph going down a hill yesterday and all that time, I couldn't help thinking what could happen if I came off. Many years ago, I would have thought nothing of it and enjoyed it. It is strange how you become more aware of your vulnerability as you get older and how life is very fragile really.

It happens to most of us, its the experience gained as the years pass that makes us aware.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm like the OP. I've reached 50 mph a few times,but the last time was oh about 10 years ago. I rarely even reach 30 mph these days,due to the poor state of our roads,sight loss in one eye and two serious off(although both offs were at very slow speed). When i get back from a ride my computer usually says Max 27.5 or thereabouts. My average speed hasn't dropped over the years,so i'm happy with that. Maximum speed isn't an indication of how your ride went,it's just something that made up a short period of your overall ride.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My descending willy has always been small so I cannot afford to get any slower as I get older.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I would prefer to reach my top speed on the flat...I have to say, I suffer with anxiety and I overthink EVERYTHING....bit grim for a 30 year old....however, I have these stupid thoughts when going fast generally, like what if a rabbit ran out, or a bird flew up in my face. But then, I think....sh*t happens - it will be a funny hospital story for sure....

I think its fun to go fast, only if you know you have control etc - same as for driving :hyper:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I did that a few years ago belting downhill when a couple of loose grazing sheep decided at the last minute to cross over in front of me. Smashed my collar bone into 3 bits and have been ultra careful ever since. Still get flashbacks of that road coming up to meet me and the intense pain. Was never a confident decender before but I'm a lot worse now.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Not necessarily when you're older. I classify as young, and I always descend carefully as I often think about the consequences of coming off at speed.

Top Bottom