My perception of life has changed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I motorbiked for 12 years and mountain biked for 21 so I'm a confident descender. Also having done some sessions at the Steven Burke circuit in Nelson has helped my confidence in the cornering ability of my tyres because you can keep going faster and faster around the two end circles until you realise that the rubber is never going to lose grip on dry tarmac.

That said, I hit 45 down the top part of Jeffrey Hill recently and while braking hard for the left hand bend I bunny-hopped a pothole, meaning I lost out on a couple of metres of braking distance and suddenly found myself going worryingly fast. It was a good thing there wasn't anything coming round the corner.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My perception of life has also changed; since I started work in a care home. Who the feck wants to live until you need cared for? So 50 mph downhills it is. No hands too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The year before last, when descending the long, smooth, straight and steep (what a combination) stretch of road between Mont Ventoux and Malaucene, I reached 50mph without any pedaling, then the gravity of what I was doing sunk in, and I used a bit of brake.

But, hey, I have the perfect excuse, don't I? "It wasn't me, Your Honour, I swear. It was the bike and the road that did it: they were in cahoots!". :whistle:

This was the fun bit, by the way, at 11:00 in the video below:

And then you realised that you'd left your phone on a wall at the summit ... :laugh:

That's like some of the descents round here only 4 or 5 times as long.

I was surprised that you stayed behind the slower riders as long as you did! I get a bit frustrated having to brake behind other cyclists so I usually go past as soon as I can.

Your stability increases with speed so you're less likely to fall off riding no hands at 50mph than at 15mph

However I'm not going to test this principle down Holme Moss
I chased nickyboy down Holme Moss once at about 50 mph but I couldn't catch him, my terminal velocity having been reduced by drastic weight loss ... :whistle:

Lonestar

Veteran
40mph carrying a string of onions is pretty dangerous.

Without a bike.:wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I would prefer to reach my top speed on the flat...I have to say, I suffer with anxiety and I overthink EVERYTHING....bit grim for a 30 year old....however, I have these stupid thoughts when going fast generally, like what if a rabbit ran out, or a bird flew up in my face. But then, I think....sh*t happens - it will be a funny hospital story for sure....

I think its fun to go fast, only if you know you have control etc - same as for driving :hyper:
just imagine what the poor rabbit and bird are thinking every time you ride past ;)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I was doing 40mph going down a hill yesterday and all that time, I couldn't help thinking what could happen if I came off. Many years ago, I would have thought nothing of it and enjoyed it. It is strange how you become more aware of your vulnerability as you get older and how life is very fragile really.

As life gets shorter it gets more precious.

I used to rock climb and winter climb yonks back.

I now look at routes I climbed back then and shake my head in disbelief.

I still scramble (mainly unroped climbing) to a reasonable level but even this I am slowly reigning in.

pjd57

Veteran
Going through the Clyde tunnel in Glasgow I used to fly down , and barely had to pedal until I was halfway up the other side.

Now I am on the brakes till I get to the bottom, then up on the pedals for the climb out.

Have to say the tunnel has been improved in recent years.
Controlled entry, decent lighting, and it doesn't stink any more.

Top Bottom