My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Datum2

Über Member
Feeble amount of snow in PE28 land but still cold on a bike.

2018_0302_15324100.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
"My boat in front of a house".

Actually not my boat. It was bought from eBay for £9000 by locals, and they are in the process of completely renovating it. Two years or so so far...

img_20180302_162709732_hdrblog.jpg

'Hartleys Bridge'
FerryBridge
From 1804, to the mid 1960's (not exactly sure what year), this carried the 'Great North Road' over the River Aire (better known. perhaps. as the A1)

FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 9.JPG FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 10.JPG FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 12.JPG

Then it was bypassed by the dual-carriageway, reinforced concrete bridge............................. now, itself superceded by the mid-2000's new A1, that sweeps to the western side of FerryBridge Power Station, also avoiding the roundabout, at FerryBridge Services, where it intersected the M62

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
10C here now, and I cycled into town in shorts for a swim. The snow is almost gone, if not the memory of it.

img_20180304_132209324_hdr.jpg

This morning, whilst out, I had a look at the new swing-bridge that's in the process of installation over the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal
It's from Water Lane, to Calder Row. the row of (ex) Canal company terraces on the other side

DSCF4406.JPG DSCF4408.JPG DSCF4269.JPG
The predecessor was a vehicular bridge, but has been chained in the 'Canal Open' status for quite a few years
I am given to understand there was a legal battle over the vehicular rights over part of Water Lane, as someone claimed ownership
(besides, it wasn't in great condition prior to removal)

The Geograph link shows the previous bridge, & footbridge, which I have used many times, on my XC run to work (pre 'Eastern Relief Road' & forthcoming new housing estate, closing a couple of paths/tracks)
It also has a location map, below the picture
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2935983

From the poster, it looks like the bridge will be locked in the 'Canal Closed', as the need for a key is stated
Presumably the key will not be removable, unless the bridge is returned to 'Canal Closed' status?

And, looking down the Canal, towards the road bridge, & the Marina
This is the footbridge that will be closed, when it opens
DSCF4405.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom