My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This little bird is often heard but not so easily seen as it is usually very well camouflaged and also likes the higher parts of trees. I was lucky that this one was quite a bit lower in the branches so able to get a half decent shot. To think that these bird over winter in Africa or the Med before flying back to the UK. No long queues at check in and long waits for their luggage !
I saw a sparrowhawk in the week whilst out on the bike who flew along side me for a few metres. He certainly scared the little birds away.

chiff chaff.jpg

01EA464F-7457-43B0-8E6B-6D85CA154F6A.jpeg
A97FFDE5-C0E3-48E8-951D-D395C4F50C2F.jpeg

A few miles today, using both my bikes at some stage during the day!

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
This little bird is often heard but not so easily seen as it is usually very well camouflaged and also likes the higher parts of trees. I was lucky that this one was quite a bit lower in the branches so able to get a half decent shot. To think that these bird over winter in Africa or the Med before flying back to the UK. No long queues at check in and long waits for their luggage !
I saw a sparrowhawk in the week whilst out on the bike who flew along side me for a few metres. He certainly scared the little birds away.

View attachment 462130

Just out of curiosity what is it?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Here's a challenge for you - has anyone else ever seen a gradient in percentage terms that includes a fraction?

"Yer, Denzel, this ol' 'ill into Parracombe is 1 in 6, shall us make it '16%' or '17%' in new money?"

"Dunno, Bert. I never did the metric at school, see, and in fractions we only got talking about adding apples and oranges, and then I got lost."

"Well, Denzel, let's just split the difference and call it '16½%.'

"OK, Bert."

View attachment 394404
Just bumping this one, as I can't believe it's the only gradient with a ½% on the sign. Or was someone just 'avin a larf?

Any other examples?

GM

Legendary Member
The awesomeness of modern cameras... just don't ask me what the flower is called.

View attachment 461751

According to the new app I've just got on my phone that identifies plants, its a Hepatica Nobilis ( American liverwort ) :okay:

A diversion from my normal route home, to follow a public bridleway
I've always known this route as the 'Miners Path', as it led towards the site of a local Pit
For anyone familiar with the area, it leads from Birkwood Road, to NewLands Lane

The Geograph link states 'footpath', but it is a Bridleway;
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2034477
Road-Trip. 4.jpg

Looking back towards me, from the other side of the trees
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4844108
Road-Trip. 5.jpg

If you look at the OS maps, below the images, it rejoins NewLands Lane, just east of the remnants of NewLands Hall, following an (derelict) estate boundary wall part of the way

https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom