My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I told you I was onto sunflowers...

P1030159.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Dunservick Harbour. I love coastal rides.

JVRider

Birthplace of Joe Walsh I believe? Kansas is a place I’d like to visit, though most likely never will, and it looks to have some great places to cycle too.
One stop would be Arrowhead Stadium, on game day…..
I see you have an image of a statue p,mis this in recognition of the native tribes people?
How much are these celebrated, or are there problems with this side of history?

The Keeper of the Plains is celebrated and will usually draw a big crowd at night when the drums are lit. We tried bicycling down there one night to watch and get some pictures, but it was a weekend night and there were a lot of people, too many people to get a good picture. Some info:

Keeper of the Plains stands at the confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas rivers with hands raised in supplication to the Great Spirit. Since the sculpture's installation in 1974 to commemorate the United States Bicentennial, it has become a symbol for the city of Wichita and a tribute to the Native American tribes who continue to gather at this sacred site. The 44-foot Cor-Ten steel Keeper of the Plains sculpture now stands elevated on a 30-foot rock promontory, surrounded by a plaza which describes the Plains Indian way of life. Fire drums on boulders at the foot of the Keeper dramatically light the night. Plantings of sage, bottlebrush, medicinal herbs, prairie grasses, yuccas and cactus add to the sense of place and time.

Renowed Native American artist Blackbear Bosin donated the Keeper of the Plains to the citizens of Wichita in 1974.

1627959223146.png

48B7A7B0-6CA2-4C6D-A2D9-EB9A0354B8E6.jpeg

A quick stop for this image, which I noted on the way out on our 15mile shakedown ride for Mrs SnG to get back to cycling, as we have some time away from work, and she has dropped out of the habit this year…. Tomorrow, maybe, a 30 mile+ ride to show her what a Beryl Burton is, from one of the Cadence places along the South Downs Way.
There maybe a ride report tomorrow evening, if I’m lucky! 😀😃

avecReynolds531

Veteran

Top Bottom