Fastpedaller
Veteran
- Location
- Norfolk
I don't know if anyone else has experience of this (or can offer advice)?
Last year our dwarf apple tree grew a lot and got very 'leafy' but still produced some apples.
This year it's all gone wild! I trimmed the dwarf apple back as far as I dared in March/April, so there was just a main trunk and probably 4 branches. It's now 2m high and looks like a huge bush of leaves and branches. Very few apples this year.
My Wife planted a climbing rose a couple of years ago, and this year it's also gone wild, about 2m high, and the new 'branches' (probably incorrect description) look a lot lighter colour than established ones, and have no thorns on them - all very strange.
We are in East Norfolk, so until recently there has been little rain, and very high temperatures all year. I wonder if it's the plants 'protecting' themselves by growing as much surface area to dissipate heat?
At this rate, even if I trim the dwaft apple tree before Winter, it'll be truly enormous by this time next year.
Last year our dwarf apple tree grew a lot and got very 'leafy' but still produced some apples.
This year it's all gone wild! I trimmed the dwarf apple back as far as I dared in March/April, so there was just a main trunk and probably 4 branches. It's now 2m high and looks like a huge bush of leaves and branches. Very few apples this year.
My Wife planted a climbing rose a couple of years ago, and this year it's also gone wild, about 2m high, and the new 'branches' (probably incorrect description) look a lot lighter colour than established ones, and have no thorns on them - all very strange.
We are in East Norfolk, so until recently there has been little rain, and very high temperatures all year. I wonder if it's the plants 'protecting' themselves by growing as much surface area to dissipate heat?
At this rate, even if I trim the dwaft apple tree before Winter, it'll be truly enormous by this time next year.