My progress so far...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ridelover9941

I got my SunTour VX mounted on my bike and I got the cable setup to it. But I'm struggling with the chain getting the link to get back together with the pin. I noticed the outer link is a little bent. Can that be fixed? Or should I get a new chain with quick links and do it by that method. Otherwise I'll just wait and get a friend or relative to help me soon. I know it can wait for the chain part. I don't have to ride anywhere anytime soon.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Or just ‘cut’ out the bent link and replace with a Quick Link.

alicat

Legendary Member
Heltor Chasca just means remove the link not literally cut it, I think. Are you using a chain tool? Has the pin come away completely?

If the pin has come away, then it is quicker and easier to add a quick link.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Heltor Chasca just means remove the link not literally cut it, I think. Are you using a chain tool? Has the pin come away completely?

If the pin has come away, then it is quicker and easier to add a quick link.

Good luck.
Yes I am using a chain tool. The link somehow got bent when I got the chain apart.

alicat

Legendary Member
Sometimes the outer link will go back with a bit of 'persuasion'. Then if the chain runs smoothly you can leave it. If it doesn't you are better off removing it and finding another solution.

Do you have any spare links from when you bought the chain that you could use if you don't want to buy a quick link?

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Sometimes the outer link will go back with a bit of 'persuasion'. Then if the chain runs smoothly you can leave it. If it doesn't you are better off removing it and finding another solution.

Do you have any spare links from when you bought the chain that you could use if you don't want to buy a quick link?
I sadly don't have any spare links but I will get myself some quick links if my original plan don't work :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How do I cut the bent link? I'm sorry I'm just not that experienced with chains.

Yes sorry. Remove the bent link with your chain tool. It is important it sits in the correct slot that corresponds to what speed chain you are using. Some have different sized slots depending on the speed chain you have. It is also important it sits absolutely perfectly as you might bend it if it is not seated properly.

When you split a chain push a pin from one of the outer links and only until you feel the first click/give. Any further and it is almost impossible to get back in. And even if you do, the chain won’t be reliable. And if it is bent it won’t change sweetly and could even wear your cassette and rings.

Luckily these days chains are fairly cheap if it all goes wrong.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Yes sorry. Remove the bent link with your chain tool. It is important it sits in the correct slot that corresponds to what speed chain you are using. Some have different sized slots depending on the speed chain you have. It is also important it sits absolutely perfectly as you might bend it if it is not seated properly.

When you split a chain push a pin from one of the outer links and only until you feel the first click/give. Any further and it is almost impossible to get back in. And even if you do, the chain won’t be reliable. And if it is bent it won’t change sweetly and could even wear your cassette and rings.

Luckily these days chains are fairly cheap if it all goes wrong.
I have a freewheel not a cassette. Just letting you know :smile:

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

UPDATE: Well, just like I thought, I have to get a new chain. The link is too bent and I can't seem to remove it as it seems it's stuck somehow. I just took the chain off again. I'll have the bike back ridable and rear derailleur working in no time, although I have to wait a while due to personal life stuff.

Top Bottom