my project and braking on a trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Classic33 you are probably right, im still trying to work things out. but look at the last video of Cunobelin posted here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/help-with-trike-ideas.176836/
it strikes me that if i lift the left front wheel up a bit and push the right one down, that should tilt the full trike to the left. i could be wrong, it would not be the first time.
How can lifting one side, thereby having no traction on that wheel, make the heavier loaded outside wheel turn the trike sharper?

Have a look at http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/articles/2010/06/trike-cornering/

Last edited:
The fastest you can go around a corner on a tadpole is with the inside front wheel just off the ground ........ :hyper:
Any faster and the inside wheel lifts further and you end up flipping it.
Any slower and you don't lift the inside wheel at all.

OP
OP
paul fellows

paul fellows

Sorry I explained that badly.
I meant lift it with regards to the trike’s frame, it of cause stays on the ground, there by causing the full frame to lean.

As to how?
Visualize it like this: take a strip of card. fold the two ends at an angle, to form a flat triangle. Open it up to make part of a deformed cube. Look at the way the two arms move as you steer them right or left.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A lot of upright trikes have dual brakes on the front wheel and none on the rear, I think the law says you must have 2 independent brakes in case 1 fails. If I had a tadpole (when I get a tadpole) I'd want 1 brake on each side for the fronts and a drag brake for the rear on a friction shifter mounted on the left hand bar fitted so it could be applied with the 'heel' of my palm.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a trike rider since 2007 I have some points.
1. Assuming two wheels at the front forget a rear brake for anything but parking. Both my tadpoles, the QNT with SA drum brakes and the Trail with Avid BB7 discs will lift the rear wheel clear off the ground under hard braking. A rear brake used as a drag brake on 20%+ hills will tend to lock up and once locked will cause you severe problems.
2. Linked brakes with one lever may sound good, but in effect limits your braking to the grip of the lighter wheel. You rightly point out that you will unload the inner wheel at speed.
3. Brake Steer, the tendency of a trike to turn towards the strongest (or only brake applied) brake is controlled by clever design, my QNT will pull up with very little and easily corrected brake steer with only one brake even when that brake is on the point of locking up. (That is when it is exerting maximum deceleration.)
4. The ability to lightly drag the brake in the inside wheel as you are already making a sharp fast turn makes the trike turn into the corner, even on the QNT this is worth doing! Also when the inside wheel stops rotating you know you have lifted that wheel clear of the road. A clear sign to ease off!
5. For a Delta, like my Kettwiesel, a front brake has limited use as the front wheel is very lightly loaded and would lock up before weight transference to the front occurs. My BB7 equipped Kett' will brake much like an upright bike whereas the tadpoles will out brake any upright in any conditions.
6. Deltas tend to have more brake steer, it is very useful for fast cornering! But less useful unless you can easily modulate the individual brakes on the rear wheels. This applies less so on a tadpole but I for one wouldn't entertain linking the brakes as with one wheel on gravel and the other on clean tarmac the trike will turn away from the gravel, hard, being able to ease the brake on the gripping wheel keeps you straight.

Hope this helps.

Due to only having one hand, I run linked front brakes on my ICE Sprint.

The limit on braking in a corner is from the outside/loaded wheel.
If it was from the inside/unloaded wheel then I'd get no braking effect once I'd lifted it off the ground in a corner.

The answers are as diverse as the questions

Look at the range of trikes and they are ll different in the way they steer, brake and park

I have a Catrike that has independent front wheel brakes ... and that is it. Parking is by a band round the lever

My Gekko has independent front brakes with a locking mechanism that acts as a parking brake

The Kettwiesel has independent rear brakes with a parking lock on the right hand brake

My Trice had drum brakes from a single lever and a parking brake operated by a friction gear lever

It is entirely up to you

Top Bottom