My quads are knackered too quickly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It sounds rather as though you go charging at the hills and regard it as failure to have to go down through the gears. Believe me when I say I've been there and done that. My next mistake was to drop down to bottom gear way too soon, causing me to run out of energy through spinning too fast for too long. Getting it right can take some practice and repetition of your local hill climbs, trying different gears and trying to get a little further each time before you have to put a foot down for a rest. Cycling really does use different muscles than running does, and it will take a period of adjustment. I have a marathon running friend who has never been able to keep up with me on bike rides, while i get the stitch just running for a bus.

In my case I found that the best single thing I could do to improve my climbing was to relax my body position (straight back) to make deep breathing easier, and to change gear only as and when breathing became more laboured. If you stay in the right gear to keep your breathing under control it soon all gets easier, and you will find that climbing starts to become easier. Riding smart can also help ..... smaller hills can be easier if you sprint at them, letting your momentum do some of the work, but being ready to drop down through the gears at exactly the right moment. You will start to get a feel for this.

I have gone from getting out of breath riding over a motorway bridge 12 years ago to bagging a few first category Tour de France climbs (even though I'm a 300 pounder!), so I am testament to the fact that you can and will find a way. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Great advice and thanks for the encouragement everybody.

Yes, I do interpret stopping/using lowest gears, as defeat (also with running) but am trying to look at it with more pragmatism lately, and just enjoy the ride/run.
I don't so much 'attack' the hills as start them with a sense of dread in anticipation of the struggle to come.....you might even say panic....
However I may have come up with a solution...
1626966623155.png

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Ok, increased my seat height, inflated my tyres to the correct pressure.
I went for a 12 mile ride on very undulating country lanes and, by using my gears better and not trying to be a hero, I got around without needing to stop or even stand on the pedals and pump. I did stop once to get a drink (hard to do when riding) but not because I had to.
So far so good but I did get very tight upper traps at the back of my neck toward the end of the ride.
I didn’t get the same quad fatigue thought but am now wondering if the increased seat height has solved one issue but caused another?

ianbarton

Veteran
My issue is that although I like to think I'm fairly fit, having been a runner for years, I really struggle with leg fatigue after a very short time in the saddle, especially (and disproportionately so) on hills, even slight ones.
Basically my quads hurt like heck and run out of power very quickly and I often really struggle up hills.
My calves and glutes don't give me any issues, yes I feel it, but not a problem like my quads.
Years ago I spent 5 weeks lying on my back after fracturing my spine. The physio told me that the quads lost their strength very quickly. I was told that I should contract my quads several times an hour while lying on my back to try and stop them from losing too much strength. I ended up doing about 50 contractions per half hour. My advice would be to do some sort of exercise that uses your quads on a regular basis and you should be able to build them up fairly quickly.

CXRAndy

Guru
I went for a 12 mile ride on very undulating country lanes and, by using my gears better and not trying to be a hero, I got around without needing to stop or even stand on the pedals and pump. I did stop once to get a drink (hard to do when riding) but not because I had to.
So far so good but I did get very tight upper traps at the back of my neck toward the end of the ride.
I didn’t get the same quad fatigue thought but am now wondering if the increased seat height has solved one issue but caused another?

Bike fit is about seat height, position and handlebar reach, plus height.

Ive just got a new bike last week, I set my seat height to match my road bike, fitted my road seat, set position. I can now ride 2 plus hours with no discomfort. This new bike is a full suspension commuter ebike

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would think that as you used to stop often then you were not riding long enough for it to be an issue before?
Without seeming a picture of you on the bike it's hard to say although sounds like overeaching to the bars

cwskas

Über Member
Well done.

I started riding again after about a 30 year absence and due to personal issues, I ride a recumbent trike. I still find hills to be the greatest challenge. When I ride with my friends I can usually keep up with their average speed, but am slower going up hills and catch up going down. All of that is not important, I suppose, just some background.

I work hard on my climbing and one of the things that works best for me is to ride rolling hills and to try my best to accelerate (even if barely) all the way to the top of each hill and hit the top of the hill at a target speed depending on the slope. I have to adjust that target speed for the length and the grade, and I often don't make my target. But having the target makes it easy for me to tell when I am getting better.

Willie

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't bother with targets, I just go for a ride whenever I have the time, am in the mood, and the shitty rainy weather actually allows it. The more regularly you ride the better your fitness gets and you subconciously work out the best strategy in terms of gearing, cadence, and effort for getting up particular gradients.

boydj

Legendary Member
Re the sore neck. It will take time to get used to the new position where you are having to look up a lot more due to the increased saddle height. You could raise the bars slightly and then lower them again gradually if it's a real problem, but your body should adjust within a couple of weeks or so.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

It does take time to find one's best position on a bike. After getting things 95% right the last 5% can take a while.

This sounds to me as though you are holding your head up in order to see clearly. Doing this will result in a very stiff neck. It could be you need a very slight adjustment to a position where your head is held naturally/comfortably without asking the neck muscles to constantly lift it.

This will sound daft. I once bought a new helmet with a detachable peak. I decided to use the peak. For about a month I got a very stiff neck riding bikes which previously had been a perfect fit. Eventually I realised the peak slightly changed my line of vision causing me to lift my head throughout a ride. I was holding my head up for 4-5 hours at a time. Removed the peak, problem solved.

In my example we are talking mm in difference to head position. I'd suggest what you now need is similar very, very fine adjustment in your seat position. Possibly as little as 2-3mm in whichever direction you choose.

When you make adjustments carefully mark the starting position with electrical tape or similar. I find coloured tape best. Then you can be sure of returning to your starting point if things don't work out well.

It's often worth making very fine adjustment during a ride. Wait till the discomfort starts, make an adjustment and often the discomfort will quickly disappear.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks chaps.
I have been another couple of times and the neck soreness is a little less, although it was a slightly shorter ride (9m) this time, whereas the previous was 12m.
I may push my saddle a little further back as it’s still almost as far forward as it will go.
Im coping with gradients a little better the last 3 rides since raising the saddle, I still find them very difficult but so far I’ve not had to stop….I just go up them very…very slowly!

Top Bottom