my Raleigh Criterium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...

No old machine, some nice gum walled tyres and new bar tape will make it look beautiful!

e-rider

crappy member
I had one of these as my first ever racing bike back in 1988 at the age of 11.

It looks like it has most of the original components as I remember them very well.

Saddle has been changed though.

I used to love mine so much but I have to say that I wouldn't want it back today compared to modern road bikes - a nice retro bike to enjoy though.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Used to have a metallic blue one in the 90s made with Reynolds 501 tubes, made a great commuter.

Traded it in for a brand new GT Outpost in 1999 D'oh !!!

OP
OP
beatmeoutame

beatmeoutame

I had one of these as my first ever racing bike back in 1988 at the age of 11.

It looks like it has most of the original components as I remember them very well.

Saddle has been changed though.

I used to love mine so much but I have to say that I wouldn't want it back today compared to modern road bikes - a nice retro bike to enjoy though.

Im interested to know how it compares to a modern road bike, as this is the first road bike I have owned.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
This is my current Raleigh and it's a lot faster that my other road bikes 1984 Triumph Tempest and 1990 Raleigh Criterium.

Shimano 105, 20 Speed, Carbon forks, seatstays and chainstays, alloy frame.

4841032271_02d242f54b_b.jpg

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is my current Raleigh and it's a lot faster that my other road bikes 1984 Triumph Tempest and 1990 Raleigh Criterium.

Technically much better than the old offerings, but these new bike with sloping top tubes, thick cumbersome tubing etc just dont have the elegance and cache of the older 80s and pre 80s bikes. Just me, Im a bit of a retro freak.

Bet it rides well though!
wink.gif

OP
OP
beatmeoutame

beatmeoutame

That does look nice. I particularly like the wheels! and 20 gears!? you cant possibly use all of them? I suppose the alloy frame and carbon forks make it lighter, therfore faster. A nice bike alembic

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
A 12-25 tooth cassette running 8 cogs has the same high and low gears as a 12-25 tooth cassette running 10 cogs. You just get a smoother transition as the divisions are smaller.

Some roadies have a triple chainring to give 30 gears in total. Mine has 2 chainrings 34 teeth and 50 teeth.

Some people think there's too few spokes on this wheelset, bit I'm 85 kg and haven't had any problems.

Dunbar

Über Member
The 'diamond' bike-frame is a one-off piece of design genius; a 'freak' that can be fiddled with but never really improved upon. (Except maybe in the materials used to make it.) Yet manufacturers continue to try.

That's my two pennyworth

John :thumbsup:

Top Bottom