My Rear Light Bar On My KMX X Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6mal

where's me bike
My rear light bar i made on my KMX Trike. I found a piece of aluminium tube and cut it to length and then helically wound some Kalfords reflective tape around and along the length. I then used some self amalgamating tape (i swear by this and being a licenced radio ham i use this a lot) which i capped the open ends with and to stop any aluminium cutting me etc. I then cable tied the bar to the rack and wound plenty of S.A. Tape around to secure it even more. Next i connected the 2 tail lights after super guing the releases so they cant be taken off and then i wound more S.A. Tape around the circular fittings to stop them moving etc.
KMX Trke Rear Light Setup.JPG

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I like that.

I'm currently looking to fit something similar using plastic pipe, to make my ass look much bigger than it is - fed up with too many close passes.
My problem is that my panniers stick out beyond the back of the rack so I can't do exactly what you've done without moving the panniers forward into heel-striking range.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
couldnt you make a tee bracket so in the middle of the light bar there is 90 degree bracket going back to fit between the panniers

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This is my rack with integral rear dynamo light. The reflector box below houses the circuitry for the light, so I cant get rid of that.

I'll figure something out...

rack light.JPG

This is my rack with integral rear dynamo light. The reflector box below houses the circuitry for the light, so I cant get rid of that.

Integral rack light is a neat concept but wouldn't survive my use. The corners of my rack are scratched up from bashing and scratching against brick walls/bike racks and I lash over-sized loads with chord looped around the rear of the racktop.
I find that racktop brackets are the safest place for lights, protected from impact, safe from over-sized loads and long coat tails.

Tilley

Über Member
If 21mm dia uPVC overflow pipe will fit within the seat tubes on my Ice mesh seat I may look to produce the same sort of set up across the head of the seat.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I use square aluminium tubing on all my bikes. The length is the same as the bars width, wrapped in black insulating tape, decent light on either end. The benefit of square vs round is that it doesn’t twist so the lights stay level when it’s just tie wrapped on.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
I use square aluminium tubing on all my bikes. The length is the same as the bars width, wrapped in black insulating tape, decent light on either end. The benefit of square vs round is that it doesn’t twist so the lights stay level when it’s just tie wrapped on.

My lights don't twist on my round light bar because i have first put self amalgamating tape where i fix the light brackets and tightened them both really tight and gone over the brackets with SA tape.

Top Bottom